The thin end of the 'For Sale' sign?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I see no reason why people should not be allowed to advertise their paintings for sale on the POL site, but there is one logistical  problem.  To sell your painting it must be readily visible to the potential buyers, that's what a gallery does.  But with so many postings on the POL site, paintings are quickly lost in the pages of postings past.  So if you want to sell, what do you do?  Re-advertise of course, or in the case of the POL site repost.  Today, for example we have 4 repostings of 'For Sale' items that were posted in December.  Of course the more artists who re-post their 'For Sale' work, the more quickly the work disappears into posting past.  So what do you do......Repost again.?  Is there a danger of getting into a vicious circle?  It would be a shame to lose the discussions/comment aspects of the current gallery to a an exponentially growing flood of recycled 'For Sales'.  Would it be better to have a separate 'For Sale' gallery, searchable by artists name/medium/subject?
I totally agree Tony, no harm in trying to sell your art but I have made the same suggestion as to having  a separate gallery for people wanting to sell their paintings. 
I think there is a separate section, where the "for sale " paintings are displayed - gallery page, under Art for sale. BUT...I don't know whether you can upload directly. It would make sense to be able to do this so they wouldn't be repeated on the gallery.
It’s on the Gallery under Top Categories, not all that well exposed. I hadn’t actually noticed these repeats Tony, which is unusual for me not to pick up on it! Inevitable I suppose, but I’ve not found it an issue as yet! I haven’t noticed anyone adding a sale price, I thought that this facility had been recently included.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Just seen that Alan, so wouldn't it be better if the for sale postings went straight there, then if people want to look they can.
Of All of the “For Sale” paintings I have looked at, not one has listed the paintings size as far as I can see.  Surely this an important consideration when thinking about buying a painting?

Edited
by Alan Morris

I have asked the technicians to take a look at the possibility of adding in a size when offering work for sale. Will keep you posted.
I agree that it would be easier and more sensibly to post work for sale separately. I’ve looked at a few recent posts since the price was able to be added and it seemed that most still didn’t put a price. It’s easy enough to put size details in the general info. If I were trying to sell I would just do that.
It’s simple common sense to add the medium and dimensions in your description when posting a piece of work, whether it’s for sale or not!  It shouldn’t really be necessary to have boxes to fill in, but obviously people just either don’t think, or simply can’t be bothered!
Just looked at the site for the first time...complete shambles. No price ,no info ....not a lot going for it... 

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Thanks for pointing out the link, under Top Categories, Alan, I had missed it.  Looks like a fairly simple label job, like acrylic, oil, etc.  Reposts are on there too, though I owe the artist a small apology - of today’s posts only (only?) 3 were reposts.  I agree, ‘For Sale’ items, regardless of artistic merit should indicate the size, the medium, and I should think the support it’s painted on.  I doubt a physical gallery, run on Argos lines - just photographs to look at, with the art works stored out back- would be very successful, even though it could pack in a lot more works than a regular gallery. ‘