Favourite mediums and subjects

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Hi Dawn, Favourite mediums: Acrylics, acrylic inks, watercolours, pencils, including coloured and oil pastels. Subjects: landscapes, seascapes, flowers/trees, seasons
Just about anything that makes a mark if I’m honest, but I’ll narrow it down to something manageable… Traditional oils, not water miscible… W&N Artists quality are my first choice, being excellent quality and reasonably priced! If I’m feeling flush, Michael Harding, but there are many others I could name. Medium: stand oil, linseed oil, MH refined gum turpentine. Supports: Belle Arti MDF boards, they have a range of different canvas covering. Tubes or full pans of watercolours, W&N as first choice. Oil painting brushes: Rosemary & Co is an obvious first choice, their range and quality is unsurpassed. I also like Jackson’s Black Hog. Drawing: dip pens and my homemade reed pens as first choice, conte chalk for highlights on tinted paper. Paper: I love drawing on tinted paper - Strathmore pads in toned grey and beige. Also Ruscombe Paper Mill in France have an interesting range of tinted hand made drawing papers, I’m experimenting with some of these at the moment. Subjects: landscapes and industrial scenes, although the latter are fast becoming extinct! Also seascapes particularly with spritsail barges, they’re so painterly.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Hi Dawn, the mediums I use regularly, so I suppose can be classed as my favourites are….. Acrylics, inks, pen, crayons and any other mark makers. Along with collage if that can be classed as a medium! I paint abstracts from emotions so it can cover quite a varied number of subjects, but to narrow it down I paint what I know, seascapes and landscapes that are subject to climate change.  Hope this helps. 
Hi Dawn. My favourite medium is soft pastels- Unison because of their quality- as well as a variety of pastel pencils on Clairefontaine Pastelmat paper,  but also graphite and charcoal on toned paper. I use these for portraits and animal paintings.  On occasions I use watercolour for a variety of subjects on Langton watercolour paper. 
Favourite mediums water mixable oils (though have a stash of proper oils I’d like to get back into), occasional watercolour and gouache. Pen and pencils of various types. Subjects- mainly landscape and figures and hopefully more industrial scenes. Thanks Dawn.
Hi Dawn, Favourite medium is graphite pencil ( Strathmore toned paper) followed by charcoal, oil paint and pastels. Love to draw and paint portraits and figures but feel I should have a serious attempt at landscapes.
Hello Dawn, My favourite medium is acrylic paint. I don’t really have other favourites as I rarely use anything else! I occasionally use oil pastels, and drawing inks. Fineliner pens for sketching. My favourite subjects are close-ups, shiny things and reflective things (metal / glass / water), I paint a lot of cats and dogs, so that would have to be on the list too. And cows 😂
My favourite medium is acrylic, exclusively these days though I have dabbled with pastel in the past.  Favourite subjects are landscapes and portraits.
Hi Dawn, Favourite media are Traditional oil, mostly W + N but Michael Harding or Old Holland for some saturated  primaries.  Soft pastel Unison and some Caran d’ ache pencils on  Uart or Fisher 400 paper.  Pencil and graphite on Bristol Board or Strathmore Vellum papers. Favourite subjects - Boats and Harbours, Coastal landscapes, water and reflections, landscapes, Musicians and odd little corners of gardens or old buildings.
I like all of them and enjoy trying something new as well as traditional methods. Subject matter, I am always up for a new challenge.
Strictly oils for me these days, normally on canvas board rather than stretched canvas. My main subject is cars, either shiny or scrap, with the occasional side trip into trainers and portraits.
oils and acrylics - canvas board - portraits, animals and v occasionally still life and figurative.
Showing page 2 of 2