W & N "Ivory White"?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
There's an article under Techniques, by Scott Bridgwood - painting portraits; he refers to an Ivory White, made by Winsor & Newton.  I've looked at their professional and student range colour charts, and can't find Ivory White; I wonder if it might be available elsewhere, but otherwise, it's a puzzle.  Anyone know the answer? 
There’s unbleached titanium white of course, I use it a lot (it does have another name! You will know it). This could be described as Ivory in colour. There’s warm white of course! W&N don’t make an actual labelled ivory white as far as I know…never have done! Then there’s this from Pebeo… I’ve never tried it so can’t comment! Pebeo XL Fine Artist Oil Paint - Ivory White - 200ml

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Yes, I suspect that he's actually used someone else's white, or has got confused over terms.  Unbleached Titanium, Buff Titanium, probably the same thing basically - I don't think that's what he meant, though: he's obviously used a definite white in his portrait, but it could be almost anything based on Titanium.  The article was easy to follow, and I'd just substitute one of my own whites - which could be one of many! - for the ill-identified paint Scott B used; I agree, I've never seen an Ivory White in either of the W & N paint ranges; nor, until today when you've indicated that Pebeo make one, anywhere else. 
Deleted…. 

Edited
by Alan Morris

Alan?  Why deleted?  
I don’t think I’ve deleted anything Robert! Certainly not intentional anyway… Strange and apologies to Alan M if I have done accidentally! Update: Looks to me as though AM has deleted his post himself…

Edited
by Alan Bickley

No apologies needed.  I deleted my comment because on re-reading the existing I wasn’t sure it was relevant. The gist of it is that I inherited a tube of Holbein Ivory White from a lady artist who sadly died.  She painted a lot in America and I suspect it was bought there.  I also inherited her large tin of lead white.
Thanks Alan… interesting reply, I’ve never tried Holbein oils!
Yes, I meant Alan M not Alan B - all now revealed.  I still wonder what the white was that Scott actually used, but it's no big deal: just sparked my curiosity, that's all.  If you take a look at his article you can just substitute your white of choice for his Ivory White, pas de probleme.

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA