The process of my realistic oil painting – explained in steps

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Step 1 - Rough work This is the step in which I do not take too much burden on me. I call this the honeymoon step, where I just casually place my subjects, and the colors are quite close to the colors in my reference photo but still I will keep it very casual. This is just like a skeleton for me with which I move on to the next step. Meaning in the second step, the first step will help me to decide the values, colors and light. Step 2  - Finishing the background As a second step, I finish the background. This is because this is where I decide the light of the sun. If it is an afternoon light, I try the create the light and shadow according to that. Once when the background is done, it is very easy for me to color the subject. In my blog, I have given a very detailed study of how to create a realistic oil painting my style. It might be helpful to you. Step 3 - Focus on the subject This is where I create the presence and absence of light on my main subject. The background and the first coat on the subject helps me to achieve the light, shadow and the values on the main subject. Step 4 - Final step This is where I use the steps scumbling, to create reflection and the range of reflection on my main subject and also the rest of my subject. Also I use glazing to details the absence of light and the shadow parts. Step 5 - Varnishing my painting I allow my painting to dry for a minimum of 2 months. After which I varnish my painting which gives the painting a beautiful effect. The values that have been lost during the process of drying or perhaps absorbed by the canvas comes to life.
Thanks for this lovely tutorial. Your style is remarkable. I would like to ask you: do you oil out the painting before varnishing it?
I don't know what Ramya does, but oiling out is a practice that just exacerbates yellowing - I know there are tutors who recommend it, but far more strongly discourage it.
I don't know what Ramya does, but oiling out is a practice that just exacerbates yellowing - I know there are tutors who recommend it, but far more strongly discourage it.
Robert Jones, NAPA on 14/07/2022 18:21:14
Is it ok if I start a thread to discuss this?
Oiling out should NEVER be done on a finished painting.  It will DEFINITELY go yellow and attract dirt.  Further more it is very difficult, if not impossible to remove in any subsequent cleaning that may be necessary.  I am sure some will disagree, but I speak with 56 years experience of oil painting.  Oiling out may have a use for some to enliven dull areas during the painting process and I have used it in the past but it is no substitute for good technique.
Totally agree, It will yellow over time. I’ve never used the oiling out process in many decades of oil painting, I’ve never had need to.
Robert Jones, NAPA on 14/07/2022 18:21:14
Is it ok if I start a thread to discuss this?
Lucian Hodoboc on 14/07/2022 18:25:11
Of course.  The more we can unravel complexities, the better.