Take a look at my POL blog....

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I know blogs are a bit hard to find on the site at the moment, and most people seem not to search for them (click on 'Community', and up they pop), but I'd be very interested in your views on one I've uploaded.  It's about a painting I knew wouldn't really work as a picture, but which I've persisted with in order to update skills I've not employed for all too long - technical skills, i.e. brushwork, scumbling, using mediums, restricting myself to lead whites, using glazing.  I know it's too abstract - i.e. you need to see the painting - and I will post it somewhere or other as soon as I can force myself to stop working on it.  But I'd be interested in what you make of the theory behind it. 
I do look at blogs, but only occasionally these days, and I’ve lost interest in posting anything to be honest.  This is mainly due to a general lack of interest received in comments by way of feedback. Not to mention the inability to create paragraphs, which makes reading them difficult, particularly with my eyesight. However, I do more often than not respond to your blogs Robert, as you will have noted - so I’ll have a look at this latest one and see if I’m able to make any constructive comments.
I quite agree about the need for paragraphs on the blog page - they're particularly necessary if you're trying to read a piece on a small screen, but all the more so if one's a bit on the prolix side, and writes minor essays rather than simple blog posts..... and I'm nothing if not wordy.   Dawn - when you've a free moment, take a look at the formatting?  
Right then, here's the excessively fiddled-with oil, which I earnestly suggest should not be taken as any kind of example to anyone.  But it did  help me to stretch the painting muscle, which was the whole point of it.  Were I to dignify it with a title, it would be 'Me, self-isolating on the Undercliff' - and to some extent, is a response to the self-portrait challenge set for May.
I went a bit mad and put it on the Gallery too!  
And why not it’s a fine painting, even if you think it’s overworked.
Response to Alan Bickley on the Gallery who said he wouldn't offer a critique as I hadn't asked for one.  Well no, I hadn't - but don't let that stop you, I'm always open to critiques - almost as open as I am to praise, money, or a bottle of something exciting....  I've critiqued this pretty heavily myself, of course - I could add that it's hard to see what the subject is really supposed to be; that there's an absence of shadow where you might expect to see it, that there's just too much green; that there isn't enough tonal contrast.   And I could go on, but the point of this exercise was to get a much better painting next time than I would have done if I hadn't done this limbering-up exercise.  Now there's a hostage to fortune..... Got to think WHAT to paint next, though: too many possible subjects rather than too few, but I shall settle on one in a day or two.  
Well, you’ve gone some way to highlighting the critical points that I would have suggested Robert. That’s not to say that I don’t like it as it stands, because I do, there’s a lot of work gone into painting it - that’s not always a guarantee of success of course, as we both well know.  From my respect, the longer I spend on a painting almost guarantees failure. Well you know by now that you’ll never get a simple and meaningless ‘that’s nice’ from me, neither would you want it! Get cracking on Mk2... look forward to commenting!
Sure, and Oi will dat! There's far too MUCH work in the picture I posted, as I think we both know .... fiddle, fiddle, fiddle.  I don't dislike it - as a curiosity; but a curiosity is what it is.  I have a choice between - a watercolour, on a nice piece of Arches Rough; an acrylic, on a long stretched canvas (or perhaps an oil); or an oil, on a larger size of board, linen stuck to MDF, than I'm used to.  I think the last of these would probably present the greatest challenge, but indecision has me by the short hairs..  The strongest likelihood - against which we must fight! - is that I'll wait until I've got some more supports before doing anything at all.  I could give lessons in procrastination for the beginner.
Sounds like one is spoilt for choice. Robert try Eeny, meenie , miney, moing it and go for it. Always works if all else fails . Hmmm, a procrastination lesson for beginners ..