How do you clean a washing machine from oil paint, etc

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hi, I put my oil paint-stained cloths in the washer on a 90° programme and saw oil paint leftovers afterwards. I wiped everywhere but it still smells like oil paint inside. What can I do to be a 100% sure that my washer is cleaned? This post will probably make many people laugh, but I am very new to painting in oils. I was reading until now that washing oil paint-stains in the washer is not a good idea and that cloths could even combust if there is an in-built dryer! Another question that I have is about how you dispose of oil paint-stained paper (when cleaning your brushes whilst painting, for example) and Sansodor? Many thanks! 
Major problem! If it’s gone dry on the drum no solvent will touch it… but it actually shouldn’t really be that much of an issue as it won’t or shouldn’t come off on your washing. Put a couple of dummy washes through the machine to get rid of any oil paint odour. Alternative is a new drum! I get through a lot of oily sheets of strong kitchen roll, frankly it all goes into the refuse bin, you could burn it I suppose!
There are some very good washing machine cleaners in the supermarkets , try one of them to remove the smell.  I know that the deal with the after effect of very greasy overalls that have gone through the machine, but as Alan said if its set hard nothing will shift it . Good luck hope  it work  out ok. 
I would try some swarfega for a quick rinse, followed by a detergent wash, with no clothes in it.
Thank you all, I left the washer open and the smell is very weak now even if still there. I am thinking of running a cycle with my working clothes now. If there are no stains / grease then it should be alright.
Try a saucer of white vinegar left in your washing machine it absorbs smells.  I had an oil leak by my boiler…my sense of smell is very limited but everyone else could smell it. The vinegar worked with that.  I also have a pull on sort of thingy I with long sleeves used just for painting in . I bought it several decades ago and now it is an abstract painting in itself.  Have never washed it.  Might frame it one day.  You could burn smelly paper , I just fold mine into two and bin it.
I also have a pull on sort of thingy I with long sleeves used just for painting in . 
Sylvia Evans on 23/12/2021 20:17:55
I now have a mental image of Sylvia in a leotard! 🤩. 
Thank you Colin keep your imaginings to yourself . 🙈
A dish washer tablet on a hot wash might do the trick, I used this method when I lived in an area with very peaty water…..worked a treat. Oily paper wipes go on the compost heap, or I use them to light the stove.
A dish washer tablet on a hot wash might do the trick, I used this method when I lived in an area with very peaty water…..worked a treat. Oily paper wipes go on the compost heap, or I use them to light the stove.
Fiona Phipps on 23/12/2021 21:44:53
Do you put that dishwasher tablet in the drawer or in the drum? 
In the drum Vanya.