April 2024

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 5
Not quite April I know but, as I have some time off over Easter, I thought I'd set the new challenge early rather than late. April 13 is National Scrabble Day so your challenge this month is to paint something involving letters - look forward to seeing how many ways this one is interpreted.
I guess this will fit the challenge. I always put some text in when I'm practising my Chinese brushwork. Text in art goes back centuries, I was reading about it last night. Have a good Easter Team.
What a gorgeous painting that is! Your text - do you speak/read Mandarin?  Or are you running English through a Chinese translator -risky business that; one thinks of the English road sign translated into Welsh, or so they thought - when the Welsh really said something like "Out for lunch, back later".
Thanks Robert. No I don't speak it but now I'm beginning to recognise some basic words through learning about the brushwork. I also notice that in eastern artwork, they tend to give a brief explanation of their painting. So, I try to keep it as traditional as I am able as I am learning. I can write and read a few words which is something I didn't bank on when I thought I would give it a try. It's surprising what you pick up without really knowing it.
Lovely flower painting Denise. I have taken it literally this was a mother's day card I done.
When I was starting out, I worked as a Designer for a sign company. I won a national award, and was offered a job by the largest sign company in Los Angeles. After that, I opened my own graphics company, and from there, I went into Art Design on a newspaper, where I did all the design for ads, ets. This brings all of that back to me. So, for fun...
Hi Skylar I also did a lot of sign work a most adventurous time that was. Been privileged to do so many super art things. Art you can’t beat it. Thanks
For this month’s challenge here are some examples of cards that I made.
The holly one is my favourite. Lynda, do you do the letters and numbers yourself? They look incredibly neat.
You are right Owen.  I use a digital cutting machine for the lettering as I couldn’t get them that neat by hand.

Edited
by Lynda Green

Oh they're cut out, that's clever! The effect with your painting is very high quality.
Another type of letter/s ….one of my favourite characters from when my kids were young.
Showing page 1 of 5