Did you study art in school or are you self-taught?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 4 of 5
I do agree Lew that learning to draw or paint is a lifetime of practice and in the end who is to say what is perfect definitely not some of the so called art critics. Like you I have sketch from childhood on and off using similar methods comics etc even so we never stop learning . I was drawing with my six year  old granddaughter earlier in the week and I was showing her home to do something , she looked at me and said no it’s easier this way , she was spot on and my lesson in sketching from her was complete . My point is we should never dismiss ideas or different ways of doing things just because we are older etc, this applies equally to painting . Just a thought if we became so good at drawing , painting etc would we continue as  I think the fun is the struggle to be that good.  I do like the Degas quote. 
I also used to draw endlessly as a child and was encouraged to do so. My dad was a heating engineer and used to bring home plans once finished with for me to draw on the back of- very nice large rolls of paper! I drew never ending little people running, jumping etc, loved it. Dad also painted in oils and watercolour so I that was always there to see. He was a member of the South Wales Art Society and we used to go to exhibitions so that added to my interest.  Reading peoples comments above, it’s sad that some of us experienced lack of encouragement, even discouragement and were therefore put off art at a young age. 
I would say I have been 'taught' through taking various classes over the last couple of years, picking up tips and cheats from books and others.  But I'll only ever improve by practice. Most of us attending the latest local authority art class are doing so for *motivation* reasons, rather than being taught how to make a line, mix a colour etc.  And the tutor does encourage experiment with new media, styles etc.
I do think that being formally taught art the ‘proper’ way can often stifle creativity.  I spent a number of years at a watercolour class with an excellent teacher who focussed on drawing skills, observation, form, tone etc., but also taught watercolour in the traditional way - for example, never going back into sky wash when it has dried (well, actually, I found that you can).  I always wanted to do things a bit differently to the way she was teaching, and she eventually gave up trying to make me conform and conceded that I should be true to my own style, but it took me a while to find the confidence to break away from a lot of what I’d been taught.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I signed up for sketching lessons when I was in the RAF in Gibraltar, a local artist was taking the class within twenty minutes he was taking my pencil and correcting what I had done . In the seconded lesson he suggested that I do it his way or go , so I went.  Three months or so later I entered a competition and was lucky enough to get second place , I was very pleased to see that the excellent professional and dam right rude tutor had a fifth place . Yes I did smile at him and said well done , I could not quite understand his grunt of an answer. 
From a kid I've always liked to draw.  I'd copy from comics, try to draw my own.  Wherever you are, whatever you're doing you can always find time to draw...doesn't need much...a stub of a pencil, a scrap of paper, old envelope...you're in business.  I've always looked at art books, and now we have the internet.  When I look I'm seeing how the artists draw water with a pen...what marks did he/she make...the nitty gritty practical stuff...how has he/she drawn a hedge...how does he/she fill the space on the paper? Lewis Cooper on 02/10/2022 05:52:09
I feel that whether you are encouraged or not, the 'inner artist' in you will always come out.  I always used to draw people and horses in particular and wanted to paint them.  This may sound totally bonkers but as a teenager I used leftover paints (both gloss and whatever would mix with it) and painted horses, country scenes and portraits on either pieces of scrap hardboard or very thick cardboard.  My attempts at painting were a source of amusement for my family.  However, we unearthed a portrait I had done as a teen and left in a cupboard and it was pointed out that it's a dead ringer for my daughter; now how is that for spooky?
One time we had a sculpture session at our art club - I’m talking years ago. What appeared was quite a dead ringer for my dad - he’d died quite a long time before. It was somehow comforting….
That's lovely, Marjorie .. was it your own work or another artist?  In my case I'd done the portrait decades before my daughter was born and given her an oval face and fair hair that none of our family has.  I wish I'd kept it but it was starting to get mouldy so I couldn't.
It was my own work Cordelia. I realised at the very end how much it looked like him. I didn’t keep it either. It was just a session where we all worked with clay. The clay was returned afterwards, to be used again.
I learned from my experience and my mistakes, mostly) Although, I'm sure that since the learning process is quite difficult. The best option is to find a qualified mentor who can advise you and point out mistakes. It is also necessary to use high-quality online resources such as https://www.aresearchguide.com/write-thesis-statement-research-paper.html to learn faster and more efficiently. With the development of information technology, there are more and more online services and various courses that can also help you.

Edited
by Tommy Smith

I personally don't like the term self taught but I understand why it was used. I always believe I had the best tutors in the world for my Watercolour journey by learning from the greats as in James Fletcher Watson , Trevor Chameberlin and Edward Wesson. James FW wrote a marvellous book called Watercolur Secrets if one reads it and follows what James says rewards follow swiftly , I always recommend this book to people starting out in Watercolour the advice is top class , I still treasure this book for its no nonsense approach and joyous enthusiasm of the author as he instructs by example. One only has to study the imagesof Wesson and Chamberlins works to gain insights into Watercolour technique at its best. I purchased a superb Watercolur painting by an acclaimed artist when I was starting out and I learned so much by studying it almost daily , a practice I recommend to all students. The topic is a most interesting one.
I started painting again in 2020 during lockdown having done nothing since 1983 when I was off work for six months with TB. I did art A level but that's the last time I had any tuition.  My best move was joining two art groups, the friendly advice is worth it's weight in gold and I really look forward to these meetings. It has certainly made me a better artist. I personally don't want lessons as I want to be myself, good or bad, and not be steered in a particular direction by someone else.  As far as I'm concerned there is really no good or bad art, if it's yours and you like it it's good and if you don't it's up to you to do something about it. There are artists I cannot see any good in at all - Emin, Gaugin, Cezanne for starters - but others say they are wonderful so fair enough. I'll just keep plugging away, it makes me happy and that's the most important thing of all.
Showing page 4 of 5