Help Identifying Artist...

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 4
Update - born 1929, real name Jose Fernandez, and is claimed to be French, rather than American - he's a bit of a mystery man so far as I can see.
I think that’s him. Absolutely amazing. Well done, and thank you very much for the time you have put in
byAny
Hi there, any chance in anyone helping identifying artists signature. It looks like S.Gough.  Any help would be appreciated...

Edited
by Enrique Agullo

There was a Sarah Gough Adamson, also known as Sarah Gough Walker (i.e., later known, she married again).  The dates work - I've only seen one or two examples of her work but it wouldn't surprise me if your painting was one of hers.  Other S Goughs exist, but their dates are all wrong. Gough Adamson/Walker doesn't feature in the Oxford Dictionary of Art - her work crops up at auction now and then, which is where I've got the little information I'm able to offer you; and it's not at all clear that this is your artist, just the nearest I've managed to come to it. A lovely example of British cursive handwriting on the presentation paper - I was taught to write that way, and my mother did; but I wonder if it's still taught now.  I digress, considerably, sorry! I suppose the painting is of catkins, with a ceramic bird next to the vase - it does look very grey to me; I'm not good on plants, but I'd have thought the twigs/stems were a bit heavily painted?  Others will know better.  I wouldn't have thought its value is likely to be high - if you're hoping to sell, though, an auction house specializing in mid-20th century pictures would be your best bet. 
There was a Sarah Gough Adamson, also known as Sarah Gough Walker (i.e., later known, she married again).  The dates work - I've only seen one or two examples of her work but it wouldn't surprise me if your painting was one of hers.  Other S Goughs exist, but their dates are all wrong. Gough Adamson/Walker doesn't feature in the Oxford Dictionary of Art - her work crops up at auction now and then, which is where I've got the little information I'm able to offer you; and it's not at all clear that this is your artist, just the nearest I've managed to come to it. A lovely example of British cursive handwriting on the presentation paper - I was taught to write that way, and my mother did; but I wonder if it's still taught now.  I digress, considerably, sorry! I suppose the painting is of catkins, with a ceramic bird next to the vase - it does look very grey to me; I'm not good on plants, but I'd have thought the twigs/stems were a bit heavily painted?  Others will know better.  I wouldn't have thought its value is likely to be high - if you're hoping to sell, though, an auction house specializing in mid-20th century pictures would be your best bet. 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 08/11/2023 01:19:57
Thanks for your helpful information, appreciated. Think you are right, as looked up her works and signature online, one painting is similar, vase on table and the signature is quite similar, in style anyway, as the signature I found was S G Adamson. I might just add, someone told me, due to his guess work (Tuckton), that it could be a Sylvia Gough, girlfriend of Augustus John, as Augustus John was living or based near by... Thanks again. Kind regards Enrique.

Edited
by Enrique Agullo

Edited
by Enrique Agullo

Er, well - nothing positive, no.  At least there's no doubt about who painted it, and when.  
Not the best photo on an angle with light shining on it, but nothing from me either! Not a recognised artist and from what I can make out, probably an amateur one - but I’ve been wrong before!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Why have you edited out the image showing the provenance?  

Edited
by Enrique Agullo

Stout fellow... Tell me - you acquire paintings, clearly, and your tastes are either catholic, or you're a dealer in them; but do you like this painting?
Showing page 3 of 4