Following the Money.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Some time ago, I read about a sales fest of paintings somewhere or other. I must confess to a feeling of intense frustration and envy at the thought - let it be known that I am a commercial failure - but on seeing the work that had sold, those feelings quickly evaporated,  For what I saw was an endless stream of aesthetically pleasant work, which to my mind, seemed unoriginal in concept and indifferent in execution. I felt no 'pull' back to any of them:  that pull is a true mark of a great artwork. By way of an antidote, I went in search online for the scintillating paintings by R P Bonington who by the age of 26 years, had more self knowledge as an artist then many artists far older than he, either then or now. Whilst I would love to be financially supported by sales of my paintings, I am ever wary of falling into the common trap of evolving into an 'much respected artist'  albeit one who clearly fails to see the steady decline of their output as they pursue the next sale.
Always a dilemma - the trouble with being 'a much respected artist', i.e. one who sells regularly, is that one then, perhaps unconsciously, seeks to replicate that success, by painting the same kind of picture again and again.   It establishes a market; one (not I, and not you!) then becomes collectible - which must be very gratifying, except .... there is also likely to be a great financial pressure to stay in the remunerative groove. I too have seen work that left me as cold as yesterday's mince.  I have a particular artist, now deceased, in mind when I say that.  On the other hand, I don't think it's inevitable -  some, perhaps many, achieve change, variety and originality in their work: and manage to bring off the 'pull' - but yes: I'm aware of two artists whose highly coloured scenes of the Scottish  Highlands apparently sell very well, and which to me are hideous and gimmick-ridden.   Rupert, you may not be the fashion du jour - but I don't believe you'd want to be, given contemporary tastes.  
Always a dilemma - the trouble with being 'a much respected artist', i.e. one who sells regularly, is that one then, perhaps unconsciously, seeks to replicate that success, by painting the same kind of picture again and again.   It establishes a market; one (not I, and not you!) then becomes collectible - which must be very gratifying, except .... there is also likely to be a great financial pressure to stay in the remunerative groove. I too have seen work that left me as cold as yesterday's mince.  I have a particular artist, now deceased, in mind when I say that.  On the other hand, I don't think it's inevitable -  some, perhaps many, achieve change, variety and originality in their work: and manage to bring off the 'pull' - but yes: I'm aware of two artists whose highly coloured scenes of the Scottish  Highlands apparently sell very well, and which to me are hideous and gimmick-ridden.   Rupert, you may not be the fashion du jour - but I don't believe you'd want to be, given contemporary tastes.  
Robert Jones, NAPA on 01/12/2021 12:29:44
Thanks for those words of comfort Robert. I don't mind admitting that I have felt that my work is worthless and that I should be content to practically give it away. Maybe I am blind to the reality of my situation and that it is time to let go. I am glad to see that you are still active on here. All the best. With luck, I shall probably get stalked and mauled by a Polar bear on my arctic travels. ( laughing emoji )

Edited
by Rupert Cordeux

You are absolutely NOT to get mauled by a Polar bear - that won't do at all.  Nor are you - if you don't mind - to consider that your work is worthless - on the contrary, you're an example to many of us of what we might aspire to, if we just keep going.  We are all plagued by self-doubt and depressive impulses from time to time - comparing ourselves with others to our own detriment, wondering why no one is buying paintings and thinking it's our own fault.  But making a living as a painter is the devil's own job - very few succeed, and of those who do, there are downsides as well as ups.    As Eric Morecambe was inclined to mutter at his heart - 'keep going you fool!'
I would just like to add my voice to Robert's.  I have long admired your postings on the gallery.  At one point I identified you with (for want of a better description) pale paintings of church interiors - done incredibly well, I would add.  As time has progressed, however,  and I have seen more of your postings, I realise that there is much more, and a real wealth of good art in there.  Keep going!
My penny worth fir what it’s worth, I have admired you artwork since I joined POL, and have just taken a trip through your wonderful gallery. Your standard of work is superb and I’m my opinion some of the best I’ve seen . I often look at painting and wonder why the hell someone bought it , it might as well have being produced in some Chinese factory all the same standard looking thing. I’m baffled by what people think when they buy , or do they really think , is it a case of know him/ her I have that thank you , here is my ££££££££ . We know that thinks go through the cycles in life and it’s the same with art I believe, abstract may be the in thing one year and portraits the next , this I think explains a little as to what is bought.  Your work is the sort that will be around for years to come and admired by many people, sadly it not selling and I can’t say why really.  I would and can only say please continue doing what you do so well and letting us see what you produce . I have recently been told that I say “ just plodding along “ or “ keep plodding on “ at lot , so please do both and enjoy what you produce . I hope the New Year bring you better things.  Sorry for the long winded comment, I do get carried away or many thats should be . 
Rupert, some time ago I saw the photos  of the cathedral models on your gallery and being intrigued I googled you and found the website from which you were selling the kits to make them.   I was absolutely blown away by the number and detail of the kits you had available.  It seems you are no longer selling them but it did occur to me that with them you have a potentially valuable resource at your disposal.  Perhaps not the card kits but what about larger wood kits?  I may be completely wrong and don't have any knowledge of the area but would have thought that some firm that makes laser cut wood models would be interested in licensing them.  Just a thought!  (Oops I started with name Robert - apologies now amended!)

Edited
by Steve Andrews

Have we got crossed lines here re Rupert? Who, incidentally, was a very worthy winner of Watercolour Challenge, some little time ago.

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

Apologies to Rupert in my earlier post who I incorrectly called Robert!  And thanks to Marjorie for pointing out the error.  It is Rupert who has the incredible Cathedral kits.

Edited
by Steve Andrews

Rupert- I think you have stayed true to yourself and have not produced paintings purely to be commercial, and that makes your paintings even more valuable to my mind. I also look out for your posts, and I shall be very interested to see what artwork returns from The Arctic.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Reported as spam