Anywhere I Can Get Discontinued Acrylics?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Hi Everyone, Well i appear to have the three beauties in my possession. If anyone thinks I may have an incorrect colour here please let me know. Otherwise i will have a little play on Friday as tomorrow is my birthday. Is it OK to put any paint I do make in a jam jar or would this be a poor decision for paint storage? Best, Bourne
Might dry out in a jam jar .... an air-tight lid should prevent that; and giving it a stir every now and then, maybe.  
Robert is the expert on acrylic, but my guess is it will dry out. Any air pocket left in the jar is impossible to remove! That’s why acrylic or oils for that matter are in airtight tubes. I can’t see the problem here, just mix fresh paint from the tube each sitting - what’s this storing of mixed colours about? Yes, I’m an experienced artist and colour mixer, but it can’t be too difficult for the average amateur to mix up a particular colour when required… or is it!
Thinking further - the Masterson's Stay-Wet palette has a row of plastic cups included (or at least, the larger ones do) in which they say you can store mixes of paint.  I have very rarely made use of them, but I did once - and the paint stayed usable, though bear in mind that it was extremely liquid.  This was a sealed cup - and not a big one - inside a sealed palette-box.  I have never tried however to store acrylic mixes in jam jars or any other receptacle, and Alan does make a good point - there's always going to be an air pocket, and that's quite likely to cause the paint to dry: all too many acrylic brands dry up in the tubes, never mind in jars....   You MIGHT be lucky with a quantity of very liquid paint - but if it dries out on you, you've lost potentially a lot of good paint.  I think Richard - not that you're making an effort to hide it! - that you're very nervous about mixing the exact tint you need from those three colours.  I think, though, that you should try it - afresh each time, with clean, new paint.  It's really not that easy to go wrong, if you take it steadily and thoughtfully, and remember the steps you took to get the first mix that you thought suitable.  Learning how to mix colours is a vital skill for any artist to acquire - and it does become as natural as lifting food from a plate with a fork over time. Finally for now - I think you might benefit from taking a look at the Chromacolour acrylic paint range - because it has some 80 colours, including a good variety of greens: these are rarely available in the shops or art supply catalogues, but can be obtained from www.chromacolour.co.uk - and no, I'm not a shareholder.  If you have worries about them drying out, as the tubes certainly can, go for the pots.  Other makers include Liquitex, Golden, Galeria, in pots, economically priced (acrylic is still by far less expensive than most other paints) and these are readily found in art supply catalogues like Jackson's.  While I'm at it - I'm hard to stop once I start - good advice on colour-mixing can be had from the Michael Willcox School of Colour, with books, courses, paints and more, readily discoverable on the web.   In other words - look out these many greens, but do learn to mix your own as well: it's fun and you can learn a huge amount about colour generally in the process.  
Great advice Robert and Alan. I've barely mixed in 20 years of painting as I paint specific concepts that did win me a major award previously. However Robert is right I am a bit tentative to start mixing even after all these years of painting. Straight out of the tube has done me fine over this period of time but maybe you can teach a middle aged dog a few new tricks. So I try tomorrow. Thanks as always. Richard Bourne
Well here is the 3 colours mixed into this new sap green colour. The square is the original paint colour and the rectangle is my mix of the 3 colours above it. It's not perfect but it's close. I felt this was a team effort so thanks to Robert and Alan. Oops there is a bit of light shining on my rectangle but you get the basic idea i am sure. Bourne
Perfection might follow with more experiment - though exactly matching a colour is difficult.  Well done for persevering.  
Showing page 3 of 3