TALP Open 2020 - call for entries is now open!

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Well I have no interest in competitions so I'm not sure if I qualify to comment. That aside I'm not sure  where the demarcations between amateur and professionals lie and many amateurs are far more accomplished rhan many professionals so it's all a bit airy fairy.  Also it's down to personal taste and preferences including those of the judges involved which is, I guess, why I never bother with competitions.  
I’m never quite sure about the demarcation either Michael. My assumption is you make a living by art to be a professional  artist.   But this takes us into all sorts of realms... in my old days it was commercial art or starving in a garret  .  These days it seems to be commercial art under the guise of design usually via digital means .  Not many starving artists these days not many in the same make specs as Lucian Freud ,Andy Warhol and our Welsh wizard Kyffyn Williams.   All dead...  
Alan, I don’t believe it’s stated on the POL competitions page, but the latest copy of The Artist says you can enter either The Artist category or The Leisure Painter category, but not both.  Just thought I’d mention it.
That sounds fair to me
I’ve just checked my copy Jenny, yes it does indeed say that! Thanks for highlighting that for me. Strange that, I checked with Dawn before entering, and she definitely told me that I could enter both categories, I’ll confirm the exact position again when she returns. I’m not particularly bothered either way, as it was always my intention to enter TA category as my first choice this year anyway.  The rules classify the two categories as follows: Amateur painters. More experienced and professional artists.
Regarding this topic, I’ve spoken to Dawn, who will clarify with the editor Sally next week  as to whether or not we can enter both categories this year.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Whilst we are not actively encouraging entries to both categories, there is nothing stopping artists doing so and we certainly won't penalise anyone who does so! The new entry system (which I hope everyone finds much easier?) does allow entry to both categories.
Thanks for that clarification Dawn. In view of our earlier discussion, I have  decided to enter just ‘The Artist’ category this year. Deadline for submitting digital images is looming, early April as I recall, so get your skates on if anyone’s thinking of having a shot at it this year, and good luck! 
Hi Stan. I've been lucky enough to get accepted there about as many times as rejected. But it's all about "having a go". I would recommend it. It's a very well curated exhibition with professionals and amateurs divided in 2 separate areas. Also, rejection is not necessarily a reflection on the work. All galleries have preferences for what they like to show in terms of styles / themes etc.
Congratulations on been selected Ian.
Just a month left to get your entries in! Give it a go - with two different categories, we are the only open competition to positively encourage all artists, from amateurs and beginners right up to professionals, to enter!

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Showing page 2 of 3