Big Painting Challenge

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I personally can't stand the large number of programs which seem to think that it is better entertainment if it is in the shape of a knockout competition. The great painting challenge is not bettered by this process. Also there is far too much interference by the hangers on, insisting on interrupting the contestants the whole time. If I was painting and people wanted to involved me in conversation all the time I'd tell them where they could go. A much better shape to the programme would be keep all the contestants in the programme, only assessing their work at the end and if they want to, and choosing one of them finally as the winner. This continual weeding out seems to me unnecessarily humiliating to those asked to go.
You'll probably get a lot of agreement here John, but unfortuanately T.V shows aren't based on sense, fairness and organisation. Those "hangersa on" manage to stick oars into everything and make shows into anything but what they're supposed to be. I belong to a dance forum and during Strictly the constant gripe of us all is "who the xxxx is choosing the music? It surely isn't the contestants or the pro dancers and the interference level on the Paint Challenge is akin to the performing seals audience clap-along while the contestants are dancing. Manic and scarcely wanted by anyone....except the hangers-on themselves.
Or the idiots who start to clap before the song has finished - at least you don't get that at classical concerts.
To get back on track again I'm sure that many of you will be looking forward to the final outcome of the Big Painting Challenge tomorrow evening, I can't say that I'm too bothered myself as its not been a memorable event in my mind but has at least kept some of us busy on the forum with some lively debate and conflicting views which is always good. Obviously it's going to be a two-horse race unless we are all in for a shock but just reading the BBC's own blog I see that the 10 contestants were chosen from almost 6,000 entries, staggering stats indeed and food for thought on that one, also they say that the winner will be Britain's best amateur artist - so there you have it, make of that what you will.
A very true statement Syd, the Beeb are a little naïve to say the least with their assessment of who is Britain's best amateur painter. Yes Jim a good point indeed, a teacher surely can't be classed as an amateur but is she a teacher?, I just can't see it somehow.
Showing page 2 of 2