Strathmore drawing papers

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I’ve got used to an audience over the years, but I understand! That’s great thanks, and good to know where it’s taken from… I’ve just finished my sketch, but I’ll sit on it until tomorrow and may decide to drop in some white highlights … can’t make my mind up! It’s on a rather nice deepish blue laid paper. It’s my normal ultra- sketchy style… rough is another word I suppose!!!
Sound good to me Alan so does the paper.
Alan, I love it when you say you’re going to “sit” on the paper ( you’ve said it before). Is that a prerequisite for a successful drawing?🤔
Well I hope so Marjorie! It means I can’t decide whether to leave it or add a bit more, a fresh look tomorrow will hopefully give me the answer…
Yes, I know, Alan…but I was taking it literally. I’m silly that way😁
She is....silly that way ...
I know you were Marjorie…  I like my paper pristine without creases! I did sit on a palette 🎨 with oils all laid out a while back, I stupidly left it on my studio chair… ruined an expensive pair of beige Chino’s.
😆😂🥳🤣😜 Don’t we all?

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

Finished this ink and wash drawing of Christ Church, Oxford off this morning. My normal 'gung-ho' sketchy style/approach which I hope you like! No initial drawing, straight in with a rigger brush for the majority of it. Strathmore Charcoal paper blue laid, 9 x 12in. I've deliberately kept the colour and highlights to a minimum.
When I saw this in the Gallery a few minutes ago, it wasn't what I was expecting but wow, it certainly grabs the attention.
Fab...Alan...
My trousers were charcoal-grey - still ruined when I too sat on a palette: not only that, I cracked the palette in half; another pair of trousers went, corduroy this time, when I spilled masking fluid on them - I hardly ever use masking; and have never used the foul stuff since.  Plus, all the usuals - brushes into my cup of coffee, drinking paint water, getting a particularly determined blue - probably Pthalo - in my hair; but I bet there's one disaster that Alan has never encountered - pet rat waddling over my palette and covering the floor with Prussian Blue paw-prints: he quite enjoyed having his feet washed (Ralph the rat, I mean, not Alan): you could regard this as one of those 'oh how cute!' moments, of the like you find all over Facebook, or as sinisterly repellent if you really don't like rats, even those artfully pretending to be cut from a superior cloth. Lovely drawing there, by the way, Alan: all rigger brush-work, no pen?  This is a great paper you're using - you'll know of course that there are pastel pads of really quite strong hue - I have a couple, on which I produce odd doodles as notes for a painting, but I do find a pale paper a lot easier to work on than a powerful blue, brown, or - worse - black ... I do tint cartridge or w/colour paper sometimes, in a shade of less virulence that those pastel pads, but Strathmore papers are on my 'to buy' list.  
Showing page 2 of 2