Definition of a drawing. When does a drawing become a painting?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Thank you for the link Diane. I really enjoyed having a look, some superb work there. 
As Jerry Ford always says when you see him do a pastel demonstration, the difference between a Pastel painting, "the pastel covers all the pastel mat" and a drawing "only covers  a percentage of the mat"
That's an interesting thought, Alan - although I expect we'll never get a truly definitive answer.  I work in pastel a lot, and I love working on coloured paper.  For me it has the same effect as priming a canvas for oil or acrylic painting.  
I've just had a look at the selected RBSA Drawing Prize entries through your link, Diane - and I'm secretly I wasn't around on the submission date.  They are absolutely stunning - and way out of my league!!

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

This post was removed - not by me, though I was about to lumber into action - because it contained a link to an outside site; the site was a harmless one, but really had nothing to do with the subject, although a rather laboured attempt had been made to link them (I knew that if I left it, another moderator would assuage any doubts I had by removing it).   We have to be hyper-alert these days, or shall fail to protect the forum from a lot of irrelevant links and advertising.  It's a pity to have to be suspicious, but we've learned the perils of being too trusting the hard way. There are straightforward ways of bringing other sites to our attention that people think may be helpful: just start a new thread and recommend them, without embedding links - or write a line of text, eg "this reminds me of X's work, their website is at ...etc";  that way, we can see what you're doing, and can choose to visit the site if we want to; an embedded link is hard to identify as good or bad, and we don't want our members inadvertently clicking on a link that takes them to a dubious site. I know that most of the time these posts are just lifts of dialogue from elsewhere, cut and pasted, but some must be from genuine people: and if they are genuine, they should appreciate the lengths we go to in order to protect POL. 
An excellent explanation Robert. I am confident that "genuine people" appreciate the efforts that a number of POL ?administrators? (can't get quite the right word here but referring to those who have authority to remove posts) go to to protect this site, which is valuable to those of us who use it. Just a pity about the need.  I'm glad this discussion came to the fore again, very interesting. A pity Bobbie was away at the relevant time, I'd have been interested in the answer. 
I didn’t remove it either, but pondered over doing so, waiting until my other moderator colleagues had chance to read it. Not just because of the obvious attached link, but it definitely read like AI, which I’m certain it was. In other words, prolonged rambling nonsense!
Showing page 3 of 3