Week 76 Bonus Artist : Thomas Moran

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to week 76 bonus artist thread  this weeks artist : Thomas Moran 1837 - 1926, was a American painter and print maker of the Hudson Bay School in New York whose work often featured the Rocky Mountains. He was younger brother to the noted marine artist Edward Moran , with whom he shared  a studio. During the late 1860s he was appointed chief illustrator a position that help launch his career as one of the premier painters of the American landscape in particular the American west . I hope you enjoy the selection I have made of his paintings. 
Thanks for featuring Thomas Moran, Paul. As I posted earlier, he was born in England in my home town of Bolton and I saw a couple of his works on display at our local art gallery a few years back.
Your more than welcome Jim , he is a very skilled artist whist some of the colours are a bit bright for me the detailing is amazing. 
I've never come across this artist before. I was particularly interested in your second last picture, Paul, as it looks as if there is a shadow of a human between the second and third peaks on the right. Is it just a rock formation or is he saying something? Anyway I tried to find a description of the picture for a clue, but it's just named as the Valley of the Babbling Brook (or was it river). But his output was amazing. Beautiful detail, these must have taken some time. And his Turner influence was quite something. A couple of pieces were in the Oval office apparently.  Thanks Paul.