Inspiration From Artists Wk 90 Z L Feng and Mathew Alexander.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Fascinating to hear other peoples opinions.   I have to agree, and as more paintings have been posted, probably agree more strongly with the Chinese influence - I think it is some of the bold bright colours that make me think American, that and his portraits.  I suspect Dixie has hit the nail on the head and he is an artist 'in transition'.
I doubt he’s still ‘in transition’, Tony - he was born in 1954.   Paul, I do like Matthew Alexander’s work, both his landscapes and cityscapes, especially the last one you posted - the London night scene.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I'm wary of what I would call professional artists painting professional pictures - and I'm not even completely sure what I mean by that, but some, by no means all, of the pictures shown by these last two artists do strike me as self-commissions: i.e. ought to paint this, so I will.  Which is fine - indeed, in my small way I've done the same; but I don't find much satisfaction in some of them.... I wonder if that makes ANY sense at all?   I like their darker, even scrappier, paintings, the wilder approaches, more than some of their obviously more considered and even "safe" work.  But - it's all subjective.  In the case of both artists, there are one or two I covet - just not all of them; it's a little like thinking of what one admires in gardens; some like the carefully tended, geometric designed layouts, with regularly tended flowerbeds and pruned trees; others - that'll be me - like the neglected, rough patches, with spaces cleared for the veg patch, fruit bushes, and some wild flowers ... under control, but not tamed. I have to admit to a prejudice against spatter, which isn't helping me with Feng's work. 
There is something I find confusing with regards to Feng's work. I don't know if it's the style of painting or if it's the colour combinations used in the paintings. I normally like work that has a heavy Chinese influence but I can't say that here and I'm not really sure why. Alexander's work, I really like and love those big skies.
Next weeks featuring artist are George Laporte and Carry Ackroyd . 
Showing page 3 of 3