Inspiration From Artists Wk 112 Featuring Artists: Denis Sarazhin and Lisa Wang

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
Alan's comment has made me think.  The painting of the old chair does little for me, and when I looked at it again, I think I could see why.  Too much clutter.  I can see it in his other still life paintings and to some extent in his twisted bodies.  Most of his landscapes lack that 'clutter' for me, which probably explains why I prefer them.
Just one more to finish….
The artist I’m featuring this week is Lisa Wang , she was recommended by Jim Morris and I agreed to too the introduction on his behalf. Hope I don’t disappoint you Jim with my into of the painting I chose . Lisa Wang born and raised in China , her passion and aptitude for art was evident at a early age. Lisa’s formal art training began at secondary school and continued through university until in 2000 she graduated with a Bachelor of Arts in Shanghai. In 2002 Lisa move to New Zealand to open a new chapel in her life and further develop her painting skills she then mo e to Australia in 2007 and became a full time artist. Lisa has a great passion for drawing and has been commissioned to do many portraits in recent years. She loves working with faces because, “ They are very challenging but always different and exciting”. I hope you enjoy her work and I’m looking forward to Jim adding some of his favourites.
A wonderful artist ! The portrait is beautiful ! The light in the cat painting wonderful too. Thank you Jim.
Ebbullient energy, superb skills. Excellent landscapes and still lives. Very annoying compositional mistakes - a man clutching a woman - it could have been so much more interesting, if we could see their faces - such a good opportunity for psychological characterisation has beem missed. Portrait of s girl clutching a shell is superb in a style I would ve called new salon - my term is by no means disparaging. In fact the artist's technical skills are on a par with the best of the XlX cent Salon. "Slow dance" items are superb, but I would like to see a little bit more of the faces. There are what I would ve called errors of taste - a two bears encounter - is it possible in real life- is it some sort of zoo interior but with a crown on a wall? People riding some sort of enigmatic beast, compositions with knights armour, etc. ( all right, if you go this way, put on that ugly beast a beautiful girl. . can you.charge then more  for this painting?.) .But the technical skill is such you "dismiss" them not without first enjoying their decorative aspect.  I even suspect that these stylistic faux pas are selling much faster than his still lives and landscapes that I like a lot. A XXl century Meissonier?
Thanks Paul, a great job as ever. Unfortunately, I'm not too skilled in downloading images and usually lose them somewhere in cyberspace. I found Lisa Wang by chance and most of her images are grabbed by Pinterest. All I can offer is to Google her as she's well worth it. Sheer class.  Thanks, Jim. 
That’s fine Jim , it was a pleasure looking up her artwork and finding the different things she has painted.  I agree a find artist and very skilled I’m not a portrait fan but I do love the one with people at work as in the coffee bar scene . I quite happy to present any more artist you would like the see feature on the thread  just let me have the names I will sort the rest out . 
Dmitry's comments refer obviously to the Sarazhin works not to Lisa Wang's - perhaps that's a snag with covering two artists in one post, because I got confused that way the other day - my being confused isn't unusual, though; and I don't think Dmitry was confused at all. Reflecting on his comment, he has answered the question in my mind about the various anatomical oddities in Sharazin's work - you would have great difficulty persuading models to assume such positions (I won't dwell on the point of doing so - not for me to ask why a painter works in a particular way or chooses the images they choose), and I'm not wholly convinced by some of them; which is why, though, I dwelt on the pictures which, for me, do work (and possibly which I can better understand).  The explanation for that lies in Dmitry being a student of the figure, which I've never been particularly.   Both of these artists show a wide range of interests; we could do with a few more examples of Lisa Wang's work (of course, I can search her out online); I wonder about both the symbolism - if that's what it is - and the commercial appeal of Sarazhin's work: perhaps it is the duelling bears, writhing figures, the armour, which sell better than the landscape/town or village-scape work that I'd be much happier to hang on my walls - I wouldn't be surprised.  Good luck to him one way or the other, but if those are the paintings more eagerly snapped up by wealthy collectors, there's a not surprising gap between me and those collectors ... 
A few more of Lisa Wang’s paintings. The barber scene reminds me of Norman Rockwell’s work.
My first reaction to the latest posts was that Lisa Wang lives or sells in the USA, where narrative pictures are probably more popular than they are here.  No denying the skill, though I admit to being unexcited by the subject matter. I still haven't delved further as yet, though. 
Skill in abundance, but not my taste on his subject matter. Saying that, I do like the last composition with the old houses, now that is right up my street… pun intended!
Alan Bickley on 22/04/2024 07:50:19
Agreed. That one really appealed to me. Comment refers to Sarazhin of course, agree about the possibility for confusion when two artists in one week.

Edited
by Sandra Kennedy

We haven’t had a problem of getting confused before , well not to my knowledge. It would help if people named the artist they are referring too , particular towards the end of the week when both artists have featured .
Showing page 2 of 3