Inspiration from Artists Wk 110 Featuring Artists : Robert Newton and Sarah Ross Thompson

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 4
That one - the first - is a strong piece: I'm not sure that some of them aren't doing it for me because of a similarity of approach between them, whereas if one could really 'read' them in their own right, sort of pretending one hadn't seen the others.... I don't know, it might help.  I've often thought when visiting galleries that the ideal thing - if one has the space and time - is to concentrate on one painting rather than trying to take it all in. On reflection, the one I like best is the fifth from the bottom: the sky does it.  The one above it is another strong painting, but the sky is just a bit too far in the direction of crude.  Opinions, though, that's what these are.... at least he's got us talking. 
Something odd happened there - this was supposed to be a comment on the Newton thread, not this one - it's late, I'm tired, maybe that's it!  I may try to shift the comment to the right place tomorrow, when I'm a touch more compos..... 
A couple more of Sarah Ross Thompson’s lovely collagraph prints -

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Really excellent collagraph prints, it’s quite an involved method of print making! I’ve tried it… and failed!
Thank you Jenny for the intro and the explanation of her collograph method. Her work is really lovely, both subject matter and result wonderful.
Those prints are superb Jenny , it must be a complex printing system if our Mr Bickley finds it difficult so all the more credit to her work in my opinion. 
I did watch one of her videos and the inking up looked a rather messy process, yet her final prints are beautifully crisp and clean.  It’s something I’d like to try, but if even Alan found it difficult, I’d have to start with something really simple!

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Yes the mention of porridge oats and lichen made me think it would be a messy process, but she certainly gets beautiful results!
It always amazes me what people use to create their art and give it their own mark. I’d love to have a go but the messiness and the difficulty is a non starter, I also would not have a clue what to do in the first stages let alone when it get to any difficult bits . 
Next weeks featuring artists are : Ben Taffinder and Paul Cezanne . Toward the end of next week I will be posting the names of the artists we plan to feature for the next for months of you have any  artists you would like to introduce please do let me have names . The next few month will be quite varied as we several people who are introducing artist they recommend, good news is you wont have to put up with so many of my  chosen artists , I will concentrate on the bonus artists . 
I hope I have thanked you before Paul and to everyone who contributes to this thread. I do look through when I can and really enjoy doing so. It's always a joy to discover new artists whose work I like. I do like Ben Taffinder's style and I am a fan of Cezanne so looking forward to those. Thanks again.
Showing page 3 of 4