Inspiration from Artists Wk 107 Bonus Artis Geoff Butterworth.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
To add a few more:  Amy Sillman Agnes Martin Maria Helena Vieira da Silva Lee Krasner Buffie Johnson Sonia Delaunay Helen Frankenthaler Amaranth Ehrenhalt Mary Abbott Joan Mitchell Grace Hartigan
Martin thank you for the list of artist , looking at some of their work it would fit into a week I was planing to do on abstract art . I was thinking of a open week where any abstract work can be displayed with the artist names and a couple of examples for each on . Would you be interested in co leading the week as your more  knowledgable with respect to abstract, I would open the week and you could introduce a few of the artists listed to open up the discussions etc.  Robert I will check on the list of names you mentioned and see if they have featured before.
Robert and Dixie, We have looked at John McCombs. I introduced him some time ago. 

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

Thanks Tessa I thought his name was familiar. 
Martin thank you for the list of artist , looking at some of their work it would fit into a week I was planing to do on abstract art . I was thinking of a open week where any abstract work can be displayed with the artist names and a couple of examples for each on . Would you be interested in co leading the week as your more  knowledgable with respect to abstract, I would open the week and you could introduce a few of the artists listed to open up the discussions etc.  Robert I will check on the list of names you mentioned and see if they have featured before.
Paul  (Dixie) Dean on 23/03/2024 13:08:18
To be honest, I was kind of hoping that these artists would have the same status as others' suggestions and not be bundled together into a token abstract art week. But perhaps there isn't the audience for abstract art on this forum?
I was t thinking of bundling them together as I have planned to have a still life week a pastel’s week etc , commis strip week etc.We have had a couple of these feature weeks and they have gone down well . It also serves the purpose of introducing more abstract work to the forum members, as you know it’s not one of the most popular themes . I think it’s because like me most people don’t really understand it so tend to shy away . But if you feel that you would prefer that I add them over a period of time I will do that as well . I assure you I was not trying to get them over and done with in one week as I think they have as much right as other painting styles I was so surprised at the number of name you offered as I normally get one or two so nice to have that many to add to the list . 
A big thank-you to those very knowledgeable artists who replied about "pure watercolour", with some lovely examples too. I'd never heard the term before, and have now learned a lot from this discussion. Watercolour isn't a medium I've used so don't know a lot about it. I can relate to Robert's comment about "genteel paintings with far more water than paint" as this would have applied to some of the watercolour paintings that were fashionable when I was growing up, and which rather put me off the medium, not having seen how brilliantly it can be used. Martin, not sure how I feel about "same status" vs abstract week. I'm certainly an audience for abstract art, and I think there'd be others too. Hopefully we'll get some one way or the other.

Edited
by Sandra Kennedy

Just to clarify, having a week showing any particular style, medium etc is not a way of degrading or demeaning the art form . We have had very successful week themes on a few subjects that generated a lot of interest and discussion so please don’t see it as a second best or a fob off  I certainly is neither . To be honest I feel a bit offended that it was suggested that I was doing so , I can honestly say that both Jenny and I give every artist and every style of painting the chance to be featured. I will add that I have not nor do I include digital art as the thread was set up for artists using conventional materials, this doesn’t mean that I don’t respect digital artists and I certainly do like some of the work displayed. 
Just to say I'd be supportive of your idea of one or more themed weeks Paul, I like the idea of an abstract, pastel, still life week etc. Especially if it generates discussion about a particular medium or genre, as a contrast to individual artists.
Going back to the discussion about 'pure watercolour' - John Singer Sargent must be one of the most accomplished artists to have worked in watercolour, and he used gouache/body colour and wax resist to achieve his beautiful paintings. He could be an artist to add to your list Paul? I would also like to add Winslow Homer, an American artist who was also a brilliant watercolourist. I would offer to introduce them but I'm not good at getting the images onto this site.
Thank you Hilary don’t worry about getting the images we van sort that nearer to the date but it would be really helpful if you did the introduction. Plan to work on the list in over the next couple of weeks once I’ve sorted out the dates  I will message you I think it will be sometime I or after May  before your artist featured . 
Showing page 2 of 2