Inspiration from Artists well 76 : Clair Wiltshire and Karen Schmidt .

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
I haven't come across Claire Wiltsher's work before and I really like her expressive style, right up my street. But I also agree with Jim that you have to be careful not to become too stylised, and not to 'over egg the pudding', where style rules over substance.
Karen Mathison Schmidt  is a Texan born American artist.  After a career in typesetting, graphic design and illustration, she decided to make the leap into painting full-time, and is now a successful artist living on 35 acres in the woodlands of Louisiana which provide inspiration for her painting. She says she’s always been drawn to the strong graphic style of the artists of the Golden Age of illustration.  As a graphic designer, the advent of desktop publishing and her use of illustration software taught her to ‘think in layers’ and this, along with studying the colour layering techniques of some of the Golden Age artists, has been the basis for her own experimentation with the painting technique she now uses to build up a picture in layers. She paints both outdoors and in her studio from her own photographs, usually starting a painting with a fairly detailed sketch, simplifying it as she goes along.  Acrylics are used for an underpainting , layered with vivid transparent glazes.  Once dry she will continue with either acrylic or oil, allowing the underpainting to show through in places.   Her paintings are also greatly influenced by the work of the Californian turn of the 20th century Impressionists such as Franz Bischoff.
Great use of colour, light and design. I like them all, and will have a look later in more depth.
Somewhere - wasn't here, was it? - I've seen Karen Schmidt's work before....  I know of Frank Bischoff's work as well; perhaps that's what has lodged in the cavernous and echoing depths of my brain.  I like most of these, the cat especially - not immensely keen on the last one shown, which is, at least from the reproduction shown (and I know how misleading even the best of them can be) a bit on the flat side for my liking.  
I’m sure I haven’t seen her work before but I do think there is a similarity between her and someone else we have discussed-in particular those ‘through the trees’ views.  I do like the sleeping cat very much.

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

Can’t remember now where I first saw her work, but I do like her use of colour and the sense of sunlight in her paintings which, as Tessa says, is similar to one or two other artists we’ve looked at in this series.  My favourites are the cats, especially the last one above - love the colours and composition. This was the first painting of hers that I came across.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Another selection, and I think every artist should have a cat!

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne

Nice selection, Tessa, love the cat.  
I love her work, vibrant colours and cats! 😻
Next weeks featuring artists are : Elizabeth Blackadder and Trevor Chamberlain.
Those cats …….
Fantastic cats Helen!
Showing page 2 of 2