Inspiration from Artists week 97 Bonus artist Lynn Boggess

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to this weekends Bonus Artist thread the featuring Artist this week is : Lynn Boggess,  born in West  Virginia USA, Lynn spent his early years the natural world around him. After spending a number of years studying nd working in post modern styles he discovered the incredible connection hstvhe could make with painting nature en plain air. Working outdoors in the woodlands and fields that being him inspiration .Lynn has over time developed his own style of tactile realism using textured layers. To me this is a man who knows his subject matter intimately and paints with a inner passion that shows through in his paintings. I hope you enjoy my choices of his incredible artwork, do be inspired to look at his work and choose some to post .
What amazing work - love the textured, almost sculptural, look to his paintings.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Great to see something different. Fantastic sense of light.
Really like his work and his style of 'tactile realism' - stunning - and you get such a sense of being in the landscape with the artist, and that's just from looking at the screen. It would be a wonderful experience to see his paintings in reality, not online. I've not heard of  Lynn Boggess before, so thank you Paul for the introduction, I will look him up.
At first I thought ‘Wow’ like everyone else - yes, the light and the thick paint….now I’m backing off just a little. I think it’s because they are actually quite ‘photographic’ with thick paint slashed on top. The snow paintings work well withe impasto…the 6th one down is the one I like most because it’s less photographic. Always good to view different artists. I realised that I hadn’t read the info at the top…..

Edited
by Marjorie Firth

They have impact, thanks to the use of thick paint - and, curious about his technique, I'll certainly take a look at his website.  I'd like to know what paint he uses, what brands, and I'm pretty curious about how he can afford it - because if this is oil, this is going to be fantastically expensive: I know that's just a bit off the point, but the paint suppliers must be doing a jig of glee when they see him approaching.   It's not just the thick paint that gives these paintings impact, of course, it's also the draughtsmanship, and the refined colour (not something always associated with thick paint); it's what I'd call "clean" colour - and that takes superior paint; you'd have a job doing this with your tubes of Winton.  I must go and look at his site!
Unfortunately, while the website waffles a fair bit (never get your partner to write your blurb...) it tells us nothing about his technique that's worth knowing: we can all see he uses thick paint, that wasn't exactly a revelation; and it's obvious that he uses knives - what isn't obvious is what kind of knife, there's a reference to "a trowel".  However - he never promised to teach us his methods, so I'm asking for a bit much there!  I've thought about what Marjorie said, and see her point; I'm reminded of an  Antiques Roadshow programme (yes, I'm so old and middle-class that I watch it) in which an art expert (and I don't mean a critic, who are rarely expert in anything) pointed to "tricks" in a painting: not to disparage them, but to point out the way in which cunning touches of impasto had been employed to catch the light and reflect it - this is very much what Boggess does, and to very great effect: it'd be good to see these paintings for ourselves, wouldn't it - not necessarily queuing up in a gallery, that could get overwhelming - just two or three of them....  I can see myself studying them for hours on end, given the chance. 
There’s an interesting YouTube of him setting up to paint on site.  These are a few snapshots from it.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Wow, that’s what I call organised Jenny! At first glance like most of you it seems, I thought his work fantastic. I think I still do, but some also look as if he has painted on top of photographs. He obviously hasn’t, but that seems to me the effect he’s going for, so that you almost see two images in one painting. I think his work is original and different, and I’m going to look up more, also the YouTube stuff. I chose this because the whole painting seems to me more coordinated. Although I like his work, I find there’s something a little odd about his style, in that there is great detail, almost realism, in the distance or top part of the painting, and then abstract impasto in the foreground or lower part. 

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne