Inspiration from Artists Week 64 Bonus Artist Samual Palmer.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Welcome to this weeks bonus artist the featuring artist this week is Samual Palmer RWS :1805 - 1881 Hon RE ( Hon. Fellow of the Society of Painters and Etchers.  Samual Palmer was a British landscape painter, etcher and print maker, he was also a prolific writer. Palmer was a key figure in Romanticism in Britain and produced visionary pastoral paintings . Wikipedia has a very good bio of his life and achievements. I hope you find his work interesting, another of the many new artist to me I personally haven’t yet decided what I think of his varied work , he is to me one of those artists you need to looked at quite a bit before making any decisions on his artwork.

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

An artist I've seen before, I like some of his etchings.  I have the feeling that I ought to like his work more, but something is missing for me.  The art that we enjoy is such a personal thing and it's often difficult to pin down the whys and wherefores of these personal choices.  I tend to save art that appeals to me, I have only one group of pictures for this artist...a set of six postcards.  Some are duplicates of Dixie's.  But he's an undoubtedly gifted artist.
I’m familiar with this artist, and I like his style of drawing in particular. I’m a big fan of almost everything produced on an etching press and some of these works are outstanding. Etching, both drypoint and acid etching isn’t a particularly easy process, so I can appreciate the skills required!
Palmer has always intrigued me, especially his works that feature the moon - there is something haunting about them.  But I just can't make up my mind as to whether I like his work or not.
I’m have the same problem Tony I can’t decide what I think about his work in general , some I really like others just don’t appeal. I suppose we can’t like every single painting done by artists even if we really admire their work, a few more I picked out  that I do like . 
Overall I generally quite like his work. When I first saw the prints or etchings, I thought is this the same artist because they have a more modern look. Considering the era he was born in, I feel his use of colour also looks more contemporary. I think he’s quite a forward looking artist for his time and style, but maybe has one foot in the past and one in the future, and possibly that’s why people are undecided about his work.  Overall, pleasing work in general (sounds like a school report!). PS - love that big lump of a tree in your last selection Dixie!

Edited
by Tessa Gwynne