Inspiration From Artist Week 111 Featuring Artist : Paul Cezanne and Ben Taffinder

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Welcome to this week thread the bonus artists this week are : Paul Cezanne and Ben Taffinder.  I asked Jenny to open the week with her introduction to Paul Cezanne as I’m having internet problems and finding it difficult to download material for my featuring artist Ben Taffinder. I hope you enjoy our choice of artists and their artwork.
I have just spent ages typing in my info. on Cezanne, and when I tried to save it, got an ‘unexpected error’, and lost the lot!!  Will try again later.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Know that feeling Jenny….
PAUL CEZANNE (1839-1906) was a French Post-Impressionist painter and one of the pioneers of modern art.  He was said to have formed the bridge between late 19th century Impressionism and early 20th century Cubism. Born into a wealthy family, his father decided he should become a lawyer and, yielding to paternal pressure, he enrolled in the Aix law school, but had already decided that his life should be that of an artist.  In 1861 he abandoned his legal studies and left to study art in Paris where he forged friendships with other artists including Manet, Degas and Renoir, but it was Camille Pissarro who became a major influence on his life, providing the insecure Cezanne with the moral encouragement he needed and, under his tutelage, Cezanne shifted from the dark tones of his early work to brighter hues.  In 1870 he left Paris and settled in Estaque, a small village on the south coast of France, returning to Paris in 1874. Critics had denounced his early work, but he persevered and, becoming associated with the Impressionists, exhibited with them in 1874 and 1877.  Unlike the Impressionists, however, he emphasised the structure of objects, rather than focusing on the light, and he based his compositions on cubic masses and blocks of colour.  By the late 1870s he had broken with the Impressionists to further explore his own style of painting.  Public reaction to his first one man exhibition in 1895 was cool, but he slowly gained acceptance and was an important source of inspiration for the Cubists Braque and Picasso. By 1904 he was featured in a major official exhibition and, by the time of his death in 1906, had attained legendary status.  Cezanne’s goal in his own mind, though, was never fully achieved - he left a lot of his paintings unfinished and destroyed many others.  In 2012 one of his paintings of The Card Players (painted in 1890) sold at the (then) highest price ever for a work of art. Self portrait

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Thank you Jenny for your introduction to Cezanne and for sticking with it till it was posted . I’m only going to add one painting at the moment The Church at Montigny - Sur- Loing when I first notice  this painting yesterday I had a strange feeling and had goosebumps.  I felt I knew the scene  and as there was no name attached I wonder why and couldn’t rest until I found out why I felt this way , I then discovered the location and was suddenly overwhelmed with childhood memories as I live in the village from eight to eleven years old in the nineteen fifties. I had seem to church may times as a child and had actually attend several service etc I’m writing this and still feel quite emotional about it . I’m certainly going to have a go at doing a painting of the church but I’m my stile , amazing how a simple painting cam make you become so emotional   
Cézanne, worth waiting for Jenny.   I never appreciated Cézanne until I was lucky enough to go to an exhibition of his works in Paris back in about 1978/79 which included some of his sketches and (I think) unfinished canvases.  It made me realise where his art was coming from.  My contribution is therefore a sketch (to be found in the Tate) and a favourite - despite the gruesome title 'Maison du Pendu'.

Edited
by Tony Auffret

A selection of his sketches , unfortunately sketch’s do seem to take second place but many of the famous artists have left some for us to study. 
I love to see sketches from these great masters, we don’t see enough…hadn’t seen some of these before so thanks Paul - Rembrandt left many thousands of them to study, which I have done in some detail over the years.
His work is fresh, bright and crisp. A lovely selection Jenny. A treat to look at. I agree Paul, it is always interesting to look at the sketches of these fine artists.
I have loved Cezanne’s work for ages, so delighted to see this. I’ve been out on granny duty today, just home exhausted! Will look tomorrow.
Wonderful selection Jenny.
I’ve chosen two more fruity still life paintings for now. I think the colour and form are wonderful.
Showing page 1 of 3