Inspiration From Artist Week 103 Featuring Artists : John Knapp Fisher and Christian Eurgal

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 1 of 3
Welcome to this week thread the Featuring artist this week are :  John Knapp Fisher and Christian Eurgal  , Andrew will open with his introduction to John Knapp Fisher and on Wednesday Jenny will introduced Christine Eurgal . I hope you all have a good week and enjoy the chosen artwork, have a  look at their work on line and pick one out that you particularly like.

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

John Knapp-Fisher (2nd August 1931 – 21st February 2015) was a British painter known particularly for his depictions of the coast of Pembrokeshire. He was born in London and trained at Maidstone College of Art as a graphic designer. He worked in exhibition design and theatre design before moving to Wales in 1965. He exhibited his paintings across Europe and also Africa and North America. He was elected a member of the Royal Cambrian Academy of Art in 1992.  He started his studio in Croesgoch near St Davids in 1967. It is now a gallery for his work and is still operated by his wife Gillian. It is well worth a visit.   The official website for John Knapp-Fisher is : http://www.johnknapp-fisher.com/ There are many examples of his work on the internet, I've picked a few I like , and I hope you like his work too. Solva: Porthgain Harbour: Boatyard-Borth: Figure In The Street: This last one shows his use of a black sky which I've shown in the other paintings, and I've seen it adopted by other artists and its a device I really like:

Edited
by Andrew Roles

Thanks for the intro Andy. I don’t think I had heard of him before, but do like his work which is a fascinating and different. I do find his use of black sky a little brooding, but in general like his paintings . I wonder if he starts with a black surface or is it painted in? I love Pembrokeshire (haven’t been for some years but grew up holidaying there frequently) so am familiar with the area and he captures it so well. Here are a few I like.
I have always thought that 'austere beauty' is an odd phrase, but John Knapp Fisher's work, which I have never come across before, seems to capture it perfectly.  Here's one I found on the web and rather liked - The Lone Cyclist.
Interesting artist, I’d not heard of him before.  His style seems to vary quite a bit.  A few I’ve chosen - the second is my favourite.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Thanks Andy great intro to a artist I did not know and some excellent examples chosen already . Here are a few I particularly like.
Black skies are hard to pull off successfully  - not sure what I think about them... they're certainly a way of establishing strong tonal contrast, but - a bit obvious?  I prefer paintings without them - on the whole, I can think of some exceptions to that even while touch-typing away....  This is yet another very good artist, though, whatever he does with his skies.   By the way, that Porthgain Harbour painting - have we not seen it recently before?  (Quite possible that I saw it somewhere else entirely .... I do look at a lot of arty sites.)
Well remembered Robert; I posted Porthgain harbour on the week 100 thread as one of my favourite painters .
Bringing this thread up for air.
CHRISTIAN EURGAL, born 1948, is a contemporary French artist.  Influenced by the Fauves, he is known for his landscapes and seascapes painted in thick, vibrant oil which he spreads across the canvas with a palette knife, giving structure and body to his paintings.  His work often depicts a feeling of solitude. He exhibits widely throughout France and internationally.  His 2005 collection marked his first UK exhibition.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

I like his palette knife foregrounds, especially numbers 1,3,4 and 5. Not sure about the boats and buildings, but will look further.  Thanks Jenny for the intro.
Scrolling through these on my laptop screen, I came to the conclusion that there is far too much foreground at the bottom.  As they scrolled off the bottom of my screen, I realised I rather liked the cropped versions.
Showing page 1 of 3