Inspiration From Artist Week 103 Featuring Artists : John Knapp Fisher and Christian Eurgal

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 3
These are really nice painting you have selected Jenny . I looked at them then read Tony’s comment and looked again with a cropped view and  think they do look better cropped especially the boats as the look a bit odd mid painting. Having said that they are still well painted as he originally did them , I like his use of the pallet knife for the sky's etc bit like spreading butter . 
The thing that makes these paintings moderately interesting to me is the abstract part at the base that you guys want to crop off :-)
I was just about to say the same as Martin!  The more abstract part at the bottom is what attracted me to his work - without it, his paintings look a bit cramped and less interesting.  I’m  not especially keen on his work, but chose it as it was something different - and I like his use of colour. (I thought someone might comment on the sweep of lighter paint across the sky which appears in most of his paintings.)

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Scrolling through these on my laptop screen, I came to the conclusion that there is far too much foreground at the bottom.  As they scrolled off the bottom of my screen, I realised I rather liked the cropped versions.
Tony Auffret on 21/02/2024 12:23:50
I prefer the large foregrounds to the much less worked skies.
It’s as if he is using two different styles or putting different paintings together. I could take the foreground and leave the rest. A bit strange.
The last one shown is an exception to his general rule, but I like all of them.  Fat, thick, juicy paint - his paint suppliers must do a little jig of glee when they see him coming.
A few I particularly like including the foreground and a photo of the man in his studio just to make Robert have oil tube envy , bet that’s not all his stock either . 
Flipping ‘eck! That is a stash and apparently so tidy….
I’m suspicious of people who are that tidy 😳😂
Agreed. Not normal for an artist!
There’s around 100 large unused tubes in those racks! That definitely isn’t like my studio!
There’s around 100 large unused tubes in those racks! That definitely isn’t like my studio!
Showing page 2 of 3