Greetings from an avid artist

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Hello, i've been painting a fair bit for the last few years and I like to set myself challenges from time to time. I'm based in Berkshire and have easy access to lots of lovely places e.g. Windsor, London, The Thames, The Chilterns etc. I try and paint everything and anything, I try and make it personal to me, or to someone I am painting for. I don't have a consistent style, as far as I know and I am very much trying to find a more saleable, appealling, distinctive style from similar studies. I like Watercolour, Acrylic, Pencil, Line and Wash. I went to Portsmouth Art College in the 80s. I then had a long career in digital design.  Here are a couple of my works. Here is my  Instagram I am really looking for some guidance on what to focus on, what might sell, how to improve. I was a member of a local art group for a short time, and I try and attend various art groups from time to time. I applied to exhibit with a fine art exhibition company and was accepted, but more recently I was declined to be an exhibting member of a local art group which has set me back a little. I know I am not rubbish, but I also realise I am no master.  thanks Richard

Edited
by Richard Lawrence

Hello Richard I think your work is great -- I particularly like the fishmonger and Venice painting -- and I'm shocked you were declined by a local art group. Personally, I wouldn't set a lot of store by their opinions. I'm pretty sure most local groups would hate my stuff but it won't stop me pushing on with it. All the best Martin
Hello Richard I think your work is great -- I particularly like the fishmonger and Venice painting -- and I'm shocked you were declined by a local art group. Personally, I wouldn't set a lot of store by their opinions. I'm pretty sure most local groups would hate my stuff but it won't stop me pushing on with it. All the best Martin
Martin Cooke on 25/05/2023 15:37:10
Thanks Martin. I am an affiliate member of the group, I can join in on activities and get involved, but I can't exhibit. I have made two attempts to get "upgraded" but I have not made the cut. I WONT be trying again and will have to just make great art and publicise myself.
Welcome Richard… you’ve posted a decent selection of work, definitely of a standard that would get you into the majority of art groups. In fact , a good many art groups cater for rank beginners… of which you definitely aren’t obviously… There are a few that set extremely high standards such as The Wapping Group of Artists, you’ll be familiar with them I’m sure! You don’t paint in oils… any particular reason? I’m predominantly an oil painter but I also enjoy pen and ink work. You went to art college as I did, so drawing, oil paint and life classes tended to form the backbone of my training. Great to have you onboard this site, keep posting on the gallery and there’s always help available via this forum should you need it!
Welcome Richard… you’ve posted a decent selection of work, definitely of a standard that would get you into the majority of art groups. In fact , a good many art groups cater for rank beginners… of which you definitely aren’t obviously… There are a few that set extremely high standards such as The Wapping Group of Artists, you’ll be familiar with them I’m sure! You don’t paint in oils… any particular reason? I’m predominantly an oil painter but I also enjoy pen and ink work. You went to art college as I did, so drawing, oil paint and life classes tended to form the backbone of my training. Great to have you onboard this site, keep posting on the gallery and there’s always help available via this forum should you need it!
Alan Bickley on 26/05/2023 07:57:54
Thank you so much
Richard, I like your work, it's great. Someone could say no to me a hundred times and I wouldn't stop trying. It's not about not making the cut. It's about not letting anyone make you feel like not trying.
Just to add… do you subscribe to The Artist magazine? This website is all part of the same publishing group including Leisure Painter. It’s packed with inspirational ideas and so on, I think you would find it of interest - I’m a regular contributor and feature writer for the magazine, covering a number of different aspects of painting and drawing!
Just to add… do you subscribe to The Artist magazine? This website is all part of the same publishing group including Leisure Painter. It’s packed with inspirational ideas and so on, I think you would find it of interest - I’m a regular contributor and feature writer for the magazine, covering a number of different aspects of painting and drawing!
Alan Bickley on 26/05/2023 10:39:56
I will be picking up a copy for sure, thank you
Welcome Richard, your work is great, so don’t be disheartened by the Art group . I couldn’t be bothered with them and there will be others pleased to exhibit your work! 
Welcome Richard.  Nice pics.  Snotty Art Group , I've never heard of that criteria before.  I do wonder though if exhibiting and selling is your aim?  Just enjoy the creativity ,Alan's suggestion is a good one.
Welcome to the forum Richard. I like your art and I thought the first and last of your posted paintings were particularly good. You have gift for usual perspectives, which adds interest. I'm fairly new myself, but I've found the 'gang' here to be very friendly, mature and supportive. It's a haven!
Nice, I like your paintings. I was actually searching for this https://mbaessayhelp.com/mba-essay-format/ website online on Google search because I need help regarding essay format. When I was looking for it on Google search, I found your post as well. I really love your painting and that is why I can't resist appreciating you for sharing your artwork with us.

Edited
by Harry Kosinski