A Rough Sketch

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Thank you. I will. I've just started working with charcoal, so I can do a charcoal sketch for it. 
Hi Bill welcome to the forum! There are lots of opportunities to get involved in challenges  like a sketch a day and discussions!
Gillian Cooke on 31/01/2023 13:28:46
Thank you for your welcome! I'm still finding my way about the site and didn't know about the sketch a day challenge. That's something I'd like to try. 
Bill Downie on 31/01/2023 15:12:03
January sketch a day  on the forum but we will be starting one for February tomorrow we join in when we can. It’s been great improving our skills! Keep an eye out for it Bill
Gillian Cooke on 31/01/2023 15:44:22
Welcome Bill, I can definitely recommend the sketching forum, it encouraged me to start sketching and drawing and as a result, my painting began to improve. It's great to see what other people are sketching also.
Hi Bill and another welcome from me! The sketch a day is definitely a good idea and it does help your drawing. I looked back at my sketches from when we started a few years ago, and found that I had drawn everything from my hand to a bottle of TCP!  Look forward to seeing your work.
Welcome Bill, I can definitely recommend the sketching forum, it encouraged me to start sketching and drawing and as a result, my painting began to improve. It's great to see what other people are sketching also.
Denise Cat on 31/01/2023 19:32:01
Thanks for your welcome. I did one today, so I'll probably upload it tonight. 
Hi Bill and another welcome from me! The sketch a day is definitely a good idea and it does help your drawing. I looked back at my sketches from when we started a few years ago, and found that I had drawn everything from my hand to a bottle of TCP!  Look forward to seeing your work.
Tessa Gwynne on 31/01/2023 20:30:15
Thank you. You're such a warm, friendly bunch! I was always a drawer more than a painter, but I'm slowly learning how to paint too. Good drawing is the foundation of nearly all painting though, so yes it's a good idea to draw regularly. I do nothing for months then get annoyed with myself when I struggle with a new piece of art, which of course makes no sense. Practice is essential, as with playing a musical instrument.
Hi everyone. I'm Bill Downie and I'm a semi-retired family man from Scotland's central belt. I've always loved art and spent many happy hours as a boy drawing dinosaurs. I dabbled in various media in my teens and twenties, but put it aside for the usual reasons. I took it up again a few years ago, particularly after watching a few Bob Ross videos, and now work mainly in acrylics and oil pastels.  I mainly paint or draw landscapes, particularly the rugged natural landscapes found in the British Isles, and I admire the Scottish landscapes of Victoria Orr Ewing and the New England landscapes of Peter Fiore. I've also done a little space art, along the lines of Chesley Bonestall. I should also mention the inspired paintings of Akaine Kramarik. She is truly a wonder.  I have a bad case of the male bias for blues and greens, which I'm currently trying to cure. My output is low and sporadic, but I enjoy the adventure of creating and always find myself amazed by how, with a few marks and splashes, we transform a blank surface into a new and enticing world.
Bill Downie on 29/01/2023 21:59:16
Welcome Bill such a beautiful place Scotland, lots of great landscapes to paint. My son has friends in Scotland and always brings back fab photos for me too paint. I look forward to seeing your  work x
Thank you! I'd almost stopped painting, but came across this site and got inspired again. I've been working on a painting of a maple tree of late, but other things keep getting in the way. Hopefully I'll finish it tomorrow and upload it for critiquing. I'll go have a look at your own art right now. I've already posted a few of my own, but here's another one I did. This is The Silent Valley in The Mountains of Mourne in Ireland. We were there last September and I went up with my oil pastels to paint a scene after the cottage owners told us how scenic it was (there were plenty of views to choose from). The weather wasn't ideal for plein air, so I took a few photos and did this one that evening.
Nice one Bill.  Why not post it onto the gallery.

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Excellent and definitely put it in the gallery for more people to see it. 
Okay, I'll do that. Thanks for your comments.
You did that with oil pastels?  Wow .... I hardly ever use them, and my set is very, very old indeed: too old to be of much use, really.  But I'll get myself a new set, having seen what you can do with them.  I see the greens and blues predominating, but that's typical of that landscape - it's seriously good, and I hope, as I'm sure we all hope, that you'll do more work like this: don't get put off again!
Showing page 2 of 2