Rubbish Tubes

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
These tubes are rubbish, absolute rubbish. Second top broken off and now the tube has split. I know I've used a tube wringer on it but I've never had a problem before. It seems to have cut right through it.
That looks a bit of a mess. If you have never had a problem before, maybe, it is just that tube and not 'these' tubes. I've had the same trouble with two new watercolour tubes in the past, I used too much force, the tubes can only take so much punishment. I'm sure someone can give you advice when it comes to an over-tightened or stuck paint top. Now, I put mine in the door jamb tighten it further and then untighten it while supporting the upper part of the tube. Rough and ready, but it works for me.

Edited
by Carol Jones

That sounds a bit risky, Carol - I’m sure I’d end up with paint all over the place!  We’ve had this discussion before about stuck caps.   If you either hold the cap under very hot running water or immerse it for a minute or two in just boiled water, it should come loose - works every time for me.  I use watercolour, but I believe Alan said it works for oils as well - and presumably also acrylics.

Edited
by Jenny Harris

Yes, as Jenny has said, immerse the top part of the tube in boiling water for ten seconds or so… you’ll need a cloth to remove the cap obviously as it will be hot! This works on oil paint and gouache tubes as well, I’ve never tried it with acrylics though!
Just to reinforce the hot water works really well , I occasionally have a cleaning session (very rare) and clean around the tops before they get to much paint on them .
It (hot water: doesn't even need to be boiling) works with everything - but those caps are a total menace: designed to give a better grip, if the sleeve of the cap is stuck fast, all that better grip will do is rip the head off. Daler-Rowney are not, in my experience, a lot of good at responding usefully to correspondence: nonetheless, I should complain to them about those damn' caps, because they make good paint and are worth persisting with. The way to stop this happening at all is to clean the thread of the tube after every use: but who on earth does that.........?
Well, Mr Paul Dean does that, I see: now and then!  Now I see why they called him Goody-goody Dean at school.......but MOST of us don't do that: too keen to crack on, too careless, too lazy.  Paul is the nobler and better man.....
I was called many things at school most were impolite , but never was called goody anything one teacher did tell me I was good them added for nothing. 
The way to stop this happening at all is to clean the thread of the tube after every use: but who on earth does that.........?
Robert Jones on 30/01/2023 12:14:14
Not me for sure!  I promise to use hot water in future. Only an absolute idiot would use their teeth. I wouldn't do that. 
I was called many things at school most were impolite , but never was called goody anything one teacher did tell me I was good them added for nothing. 
Paul  (Dixie) Dean on 30/01/2023 13:00:48
Teachers can leave long-lasting scars ... and you've proved that one wrong. 
That sounds a bit risky, Carol - I’m sure I’d end up with paint all over the place!  We’ve had this discussion before about stuck caps.   If you either hold the cap under very hot running water or immerse it for a minute or two in just boiled water, it should come loose - works every time for me.  I use watercolour, but I believe Alan said it works for oils as well - and presumably also acrylics.
Jenny Harris on 30/01/2023 07:16:54 I live on the edge of danger, Jenny :)
Carol - we just KNEW you did.   It was a very old tube of Mars Red which caught me - the cap was almost fused on, and impatient to make progress, I took pliers to it: ripped the whole top of the tube off, and somewhow or other the bottom part came with it (the tube was so old the metal was, as it were, bubbling - it was clearly failing, but no, Jones knew best...).  An armful of Mars Red later, I reflected on that well-worn but still true adage 'more haste, less speed' - could have been worse; it could have been Pthalo blue, which seems to resist swarfega, bleach, and a scrubbing brush.   I'm a lot more careful with things these days.