Wells Cathedral

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Don't spoil it Steve, it's looking great as it is, but follow Linda's advice have a quick look at some internet photo's, personally I would leave it as it is.
I’m inclined to agree! It’s not as I envisaged, but it’s a definite improvement and a decent painting as it stands.
The building is much better now - it has form and shape.  You could certainly add a bird or two, or flowers on the embankment, but the picture works as it is. I well know the urge to "finish" a painting though - there are many things you COULD do: trouble is, if we worry away at every little itch, we never move on to the next thing (I speak from some experience here!).  
Grateful to everyone for all the constructive comments.  I've ended up with a painting that I couldn't have achieved without them.  The colour of the cathedral shouldn't really be yellow ochre but it was just my "take" on it and I've decided not to try and add anything more to the painting. Alan, you said the painting is not how you envisaged and I'd love to know what the main differences would be.  I started the shadows using a mix of Paynes Grey and Alizarin Crimson before your suggested colours so I wasn't ignoring the advice it was that I was too far into it to change and it seemed to be looking good (to my eyes anyway).   I am now  tempted to do another similar painting, perhaps oil rather than acrylic and on smooth board.  This would incorporate the suggested ducks/swans more flowers.  Maybe different season etc.  Watch this space!  Thanks again.
Your colour choice was fine Steve. What I meant was I would have swept some shadows over more of the buildings and created a greater tonal impact! But that’s me, you’ve done a sterling job here with your own interpretation. Flying birds can look dreadful if they’re not executed correctly, usually a variety of ticks of all shapes and sizes, my advice would be to steer clear unless you know what you’re doing - which you may well do!
Thanks Alan.  Perhaps I'll try for a bit more tonal variation with my next effort.  Just looking around deciding what next to paint!

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Showing page 2 of 2