seascape

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Morning Alan, If you are not to busy I would appreciate your comments on the above. I have tried to be looser, but I dont know how successful this has been. Regards John Turner.
Just refresh my memory John, what medium is it painted in? Also, what brand of paint are you using? I’ll have a good study of it later on today hopefully, it’s a good image but I can see some possibilities for improving it with a few tweaks! A
Hi Alan, It is painted in Alkyd oils, brand "Griffin Alkyd" by Windsor and Newton. Regards John.
I’ve not used these, but I know that they are fast drying, which is not what I’m after when I use oils, I often like to return a day later or so and work into the wet paint. However, looking at your painting, it does come over as a bit dull and flat. The composition is okay, a decent sky but possibly a little overdone… there’s a lot of cloud shapes which can be confusing to the eye, mine is darting all over the place. Your focal point is the headland, drop in some strong highlights which will help focus the eye towards it. I’ve got an oil on my gallery called ‘Rounding the Point at Whitby’, if you can find it, this may help you. You’ll see how I’ve dropped in a few white yacht sails for added interest! You’re painting rather thinly, beef some areas up a bit, get some texture particularly in the foreground areas, flatter in the distance. In general it’s all fine, it just needs a touch of magic to bring it alive… you can do it!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

John, I’ve  found it, ‘Yachts rounding the point at Whitby’ … it may help you.
Very useful Alan, I think I will rework it and see what happens ! Regards John.
Very useful Alan, I think I will rework it and see what happens ! Regards John.
JOHN TURNER on 30/11/2021 10:07:03
I hope you repost the finished work. I like the sky in the version you posted, but I think the water and the land could use some more details, especially the waves near the shore.