Portfolio Critique please

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Not come across this one Michael. Just had a quick glance and it looks a pretty professional set up. The quality looks top notch as far as I can see on my screen, and if you’ve recommended it, it probably is!
Helen, interested to know about your printer - inkjet, laser, lightfastness?  Perhaps at low prices, and greetings cards, lightfastness not so important.  But would you use it for prints for framing, or go to a commercial printer?
Robert Jones, NAPA on 19/11/2020 00:41:29
Hi Robert, I have a Canon PRO 100S inkjet printer - (8 inks). The printer can do any paper size, up to A3+, and I read a gazillion printer reviews (print quality, colour fastness etc) before I chose this one in my price range.  I do prints on Marrutt 230 gsm archival matt acid free paper. I don't sell them as 'limited edition' prints, but the paper quality is great (I read a gazillion reviews about paper too!) For greeting cards, I initially contacted Marrutt and they sent a sample pack for me to try out. (They can also pre-score for folding).  But I (currently) print cards on Tetenal 'Spectrajet' premium baryta 310 gsm. Marrutt do a slightly nicer baryta paper but more expensive, and initially I didn't want to use expensive stuff until I got used to the actual printing process! I was lucky at the time I bought the Spectrajet, to find a supplier selling it for less than half the price I'd seen it elsewhere (£10 for 25 sheets, A4), so I bought a few boxes. I think I roughly worked it out to about 56p per card (paper, envelope, cello sleeve, printing ink). Its difficult to cost the printing ink per card, as each one runs out at a different time!
That’s an excellent printer Helen, I’ve been looking at these myself. The inks seem to vary tremendously in price, a set of Canon at £128 down to a set of compatible ones at around £28 or so!
£128... wow! They were about £85-£90 last year for the set.  Many of the reviews I read recommended not to use any non-canon ink brands before your printer warranty has run out, so I'm sticking to that advice for now. I don't want to risk ruining the printer having spent a lot of money on it! Nowadays I buy single cartridges as and when they start to run out.
Yes, I take your point here Helen. I use the compatible cartridges in my existing A4 Canon printer without issues but it’s a gamble , particularly on this more expensive model.
Showing page 2 of 2