New to painting, doing abstracts. Would appreciate advice

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 4 of 4
Sebastian: I didn't mean don't show your work HERE - by all means do: it's always useful for us to see stages in an artist's development, and good for you as well, because you'll get constructive criticism, and maybe encounter the one thought that will, as it were, turn the key in your lock. 
Robert Jones, NAPA on 18/03/2023 13:18:34
Ah apologies. I agree, it has been pretty illuminating all of this. I've learnt an infinite amount about painting in the last week or so and am inspired. And I agree with all of you.

Edited
by Sebastian Karamyar

Sebastian, I will look forward to your journey....🌻
Well put, Robert….and I’m so glad you can see where I’m coming from in my art, thank you. Sebastian, just enjoy painting, just remember that nothing is a failure, it’s just that it didn’t work at that time. Press on….go and spend a spare hour in Waterstones and browse through the abstract art books. And Wikipedia is only a click away to find the back stories of abstract artists. 
For sure, going to explore a lot. Thanks all
I was just remembering how my first art tutor - who was inspirational - taught our little group to get our heads around abstract.  She put a bowl of fruit and vegetables in front of us as a still life exercise and encouraged us to flatten the perspective from 3D to 2D, simplify the shapes and paint each item in a colour which doesn't usually belong to it - like blue lemons, red cauliflower etc.   She also gave us homework which was to paint a still life in cubist style.  I didn't think I could do it, but the result was surprising and OK! I would love to be more abstract in my own work - I've been painting and drawing for 13 years now and tend towards realism, so for me, abstract is a happy accident! As a final recommendation there are some really good abstract artists in Painters Online you could follow.  I love Diane Boswell's work.  Her abstract landscapes are wonderful.

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Showing page 4 of 4