When is WIP, WIP?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Forgive the title of this topic .... I didn't know what to call it. I have a question about WIP's and thought this the best place to ask it. As a newbie to POL I'm still finding my way around but, as someone who has unintentionally strayed across guidelines in other forums, I am trying very hard to "do the right things" in here. My question: I have many WIP photo's of work that I've already finished. Whilst I would like to post some of them here, photo at a time over time, explaining my thinking and decisions at each stage, I am concerned that this section of the forum may only be for work currently in progress. I would greatly appreciate receiving some clarity on this from someone in the know.  Thank you PS. This isn't about what is or isn't allowable but about what is or isn't of interest to other members.

Edited
by John Johnston

I personally think it would be very interesting to see your paintings and get the thoughts behind then , post them please . It should be fine on here . 
For so long as the work you post as a work in progress is indeed a work in progress, it really doesn't matter a bit when you last played with it - if it's still in progress, it might have been so for ten years or more: after all - we won't know that and you don't have to tell us. Point is - it isn't finished; and you might be seeking comment, guidance, suggestions: OR, you might just be posting it to show us how you're getting on with a piece, without necessarily seeking a critique.
PS - There is a Work for Critique heading here, too - if you want a critique, post your work there.  I for one might offer a suggestion or two on WIPs, but on the whole won't; whereas, if I can help at all with work for critique, I assuredly will (or will try to).   On the whole - I will never offer a critique if it's not asked for: maybe I have, now and then, mind!  It can be hard to resist.  My memory isn't good enough to recall when I might have done this uninvited, but I HOPE I very rarely do.  These are awkward areas, though - perhaps we should resist offering advice; I may have offended some by doing so (though I really hope I haven't); but I have received thanks in the past for offering constructive criticism. I think if your crits are kind; constructive, and well-meant, most people are grateful for them.  Don't know if that helps?  Of course, it also helps if they make sense - I've seen some comments that don't, though, in all fairness, never on this site - really, absolutely never: that's why I stay here - it's serious and fun at the same time. 
John, I think it's interesting to watch another artists WIP and the process they are using. There is a lot to learn from them and also from the comments made by the other members. I've currently got a WIP on the go and have already reacieved lots of useful information and facts from the members.
Paul, thank you very much. Robert, you've nicely answered my question and, since my work is already finished I won't bother posting it here in stages. Thank you. Denise, like you I very much enjoy seeing how another artist has approached their work, the processes they use and the decisions they've made along the way. I've learned a great deal understanding the methods of others. Maybe I'll do a WIP on a future drawing ... we'll see.
Well I, for one, would be very interested in your painting processes, John.  So maybe the forum isn’t the right place to post them, but what about posting a blog?
That's a good idea Lynda, I hadn't thought of a blog. I'll have a look into that and see what I can do. Thank you.