Practice and yet more practice.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
They are lovely, Dixie, I'm glad you put them in, they add an authenticity, thank you. 
Are you having similar photography problems to mine?  I ask, because your more wide-angle shot, incorporating your desk, looks even better than your cropped photo - I noticed the same thing when I was sitting, bored into the hardest granite, through a meeting on Zoom: I looked - predictably - lovely: but my paintings, grouped as they are throughout the flat, looked marvellous: much better than they did in my photos.  Yet, I still make a complete muck of photographing paintings on my computer camera when I'm trying to.... Now, is this because I is a hidiot?  I offer a screenshot of the sheer enthralment I felt during the meeting, for which I didn't even bother to change out of my pyjamas.
I think it down to the light today its very dull and I’ve notice that the painting photo looks better when it’s at the angle it painted at . It’s something I’ve noticed this last few weeks and no Robert you definitely not a hidiot.  As to your photo you look like I used to do in long winded case conferences when someone didn’t know when to stop , glazed eyes frozen expressions they probably hide the fact thst I was mentally elsewhere. 
I took the shot close up , I normally stand back and the crop the photo , thus might be the reason it’s something I’ve not notice until till very recently. I will experiment and try different distance etc , hopefully it will sort its self out . 
I look forward to seeing the finished painting. I love our forests too. 
Thanks Bill ,they are beautiful place and it’s said they inspired Tolkien when he was describing the forests in Lord Of The Ring Trilogy. They are also called Celtic Forests in some areas as the were revered by the Druids who believed the were the link between sky and earth also the spirt world. I’ve attached a few photos of whst the trees look like close up , I’m very tempted to have a go at doing something similar to the first photo. 
Bit of a sad sight all excellent photo followed by this , what a downer. I have stopped here as I will just keep fiddling with it , I’m ok with it odd bit could do with a tweak but that’s the problem I won’t know when to stop. 
I don’t know why you would call it a downer. It’s a great painting. Perhaps just a little all over green? The photos you posted have many other colours (and deep dark areas). I’m not a watercolour painter so I would not have the first clue how to tweak it!
Thank you Helen for your comment. I’m doing this series of green to help develop my skills when painting woodlands etc, what I have noticed is that while I’m using it to learn I have developed the habit of been very critical of my work , particularly just after I’ve completed it , in a day or so I look at it again and pick up on the positives, crazy I know but it’s what’s going on.  Yes it very green and the next stage is to add some more colours but not to this one it would look odd and overworked.  I’m thinking of doing one of the above photos most probably the first one , that’s when I’ve thought about it enough and told myself I can do it. It obviously won’t be a direct copy but will provide the base image. 
Showing page 2 of 2