Pencil drawing in portraiture

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
As far as I can make out, it’s a sales link, albeit his own website! He’s selling his expertise - I would have removed the link. To be able to accurately copy/trace from a photo is a skill that can be learned with a steady hand and years of dedication, it doesn’t necessarily make you a good artist… or a bad one! It’s not always possible to find a sitter, and working from photos can be great practice. However, you generally end up with what’s been demonstrated, an accurate copy! Fine if that’s what you’re after. I have no issues here. We have artists on pol who excel in working predominantly from photos! Russell Edwards being one such person. If you watch Adibanji’s portrait of a homeless man (it’s on the website somewhere, Dawn will know where), it was a live demo for virtual Patchings last year. Yes, he’s copying from a photo, but wow does he put his heart and soul into it - it’s well worth watching if your end goal is portrait drawing/painting.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

Thankyou Linda , Robert, and Denise for your encouragement and shall keep practicing and work on and yes accuracy really is vital to align and be precise. Thankyou Alan, and Paul too, I shall remember the head shape and be diligent to ascertain distance, setting the eyes, nose, lips in place according to scale and proximity too. I appreciate your feedback, many thanks. It's been a while since I really knuckled down to still-life drawing and so am starting afresh. 
Showing page 2 of 2