Painting need critique please

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Download a free piece of software called 'Irfanview' Christine, you can resize your pictures on there before posting them. I use it all the time,
Peter Smith on 07/02/2023 18:35:45
Thankyou I have an app the photo was huge I was worried but it righted itself.
You could have saved it, but if you're not enjoying a picture you're working on and fear it was doomed from the start, abandoning it and trying again is probably a course of action which will spare you much frustration and pain in the neck. Of course, I endorse the other advice you've had - and it does us all good, however clever we may think ourselves (most of us don't, mind: most of us play host to that irritating inner critic, always ready with a large dose of wet blanket), to pore over the magazines, buy a good dvd or three, haunt YouTube for tips, and best and most of all - watch others paint in real time, not in these useless fast-forwarded flicks: Lord knows what good anyone thinks they do..... Don't put off applying paint to paper or whatever for too long, though, or you'll convince yourself you'll never be able to do that - and once you've decided that, of course - you won't.   I think you almost got there with this one - your final resolution, or attempted resolution, was a big improvement on where you were at the beginning: but I would say again - there are two elements to watercolour; one is water, the other is colour - weak washes of ultramarine and yellow ochre or raw sienna can be spirit-sapping - if in doubt, give yourself a treat with Pthalo Blue and Cadmium Yellow, Cadmium Red, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine: apply the paint full strength, drop water in rather than flood the paper. The result may well be ghastly beyond endurance, but you'll have learned about strong colour - anything but insipidity.   And finally - (I do shut up eventually) - you to YouTube, thence to Alan Owen, and Charles Evans; invest in a couple of Charlie's books; watch, read, and digest.  That's where I go when I want to be reminded of how to paint in watercolour (which I also forget, it not being my main medium.  And good luck.  
Robert Jones on 07/02/2023 22:09:10
Thankyou 
Showing page 2 of 2