Old Docks

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
A imaginary scene based on dockside building and coastal ship of the 1920. Watercolour paper 23 x32 cm , the ship is based on a old coastal trade steam ship often refers to as tramp ships . These ships did not have a home port and would take cargo to a port and pick up a cargo to any port and continue this method of working. Very hard worked ships that often were scruffy and tatty looking due to the long hours at sea and the hard work they were put too. I stared of with the base sketch. Then noticed that the church tower was  quite thin and long , changed to make it wider and shorter also added the steeple. Then some base colour, I don’t normally start in the centre  actually I start anywhere no real plan . The buildings in the middle were my main worry as I haven’t done such detail in a small scene I also wanted to separate the ship fron the buildings.
Really promising start Paul, looking forward to watching it progress 
Looks good Paul.

Edited
by Sylvia Evans

Thank you Gillian and Sylvia I appreciate your comments. Added some more colour and stated the detailing on the buildings. K
More details and colours added I want it to have a grimy look and warn down to reflect the harsh environment, the dirt smoke etc. I do love these old scenes but often wish that they were not in clean pure colours as to me that  doesn't reflect reality.  The reason I show a close vie and a distant one is I use the photos to check my work and see how it looks from different angle , sit down with a cuppa and look at them for a while . Doing this I often change things or decide that a mistake is actually really useful and leave it well alone . 
It is very intriguing concept to draw Paul. Are you interested with old ships then? I have a friend who every holiday spends on boats... That's his joy... I'm opposite, I mean I LOVE SHIPS, but in my life it's very rare I'm getting on any... Lol!, my latest trip on any boat was at Whitby, lol... You know, that trip around, lol, there and back ;) I'm interested how the final art will come out Paul. I do like changes, that you making while working on it.
I do like to paint old ships the old steam cargo ships , they had character with all the equipment needed to load cargo . It’s the old tramp type that I really liked to paint been at sea for long periods showing rust and scruffy , bit like me really.  I did travel on several troop ships as a youngster and Ronald Navy ships on three occasions, unfortunately I get terrible sea sickness so I keep of them when possible.  .
Oh I see now where your interest and love towards them comes from! You did experience some *adventure before, so you live to paint them (the sickness is awefull I know...) Thanks for share your story ;) And don't get rusty ;) ships can do :)
Thanks Art . I have added more base colours and started some detailing, I don’t want it to be too detailed as it’s quite a packed painting as it is,.
I haven’t had time to paint very much in the last few days , life getting in the way. I did a little bit late yesterday added a few details and some background colours. I have never tried such a busy looking painting before not sure that I like it very much , there are bits I like and plenty in ok with but not really keen. Oh well we tackle these things for the challenge and hope it works out , not always though .
The most important thing is just to enjoy what we do, and you know it very well Paul. Not every song is on top list, isn't it? They all can be good, but it's only one that can get famous. I believe it's similar with art making. We can paint many times, but it's just few paintings, that really matters ;) It's very rare I'm satisfied with my artwork. Usually I believe I could have try harder ;) My present self-portrait looks not too bad, but I'm working up close on it, and I'm aware of many things, that I wish they were looking better ;) Your painting is not exception, it is nice looking, and progressing painting, busy with details, buildings ... It's a lot happening in there, so it might be a bit overwhelming, but you are patient artist, and you will do it!