Oil on black hmm

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
As I said earlier Fiona, it’s good to experiment, that’s what art should be about, pushing the boundaries perhaps! I do like Marjorie’s examples, she has produced some superb work here using a black ground. I accept that it’s particularly useful for still life work, not landscapes, not even nocturnes. I still can’t see me using black anytime soon, unless in the unlikely event that I decide to paint a still life, which isn’t on my current agenda.
Well this thread got lively. I primed my canvas in black gesso because I wanted to find out for myself how it reacted or changed my perspective.  I found myself layering over a sky of various blues and burnt umber. Starting dark did make me think about my tonal qualities more, I knew if I started a night sky on white I'd be tempted to keep it bright. Just the way my mind works. So there is no black coming through the final painting and this has certainly made me consider what colour to do my next canvas.  It's great to see your paintings Marjorie and Fiona thank you for sharing. And thank you for the other responses so far, I've enjoyed a good read. My painting is still not finished, so many rocks :) Alicia
Showing page 2 of 2