Mum portrait...

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 4 of 4
Art, I'm not sure what other changes you've made but what you've done to the eyes is a big improvement. Beautifully done.
Art, I'm not sure what other changes you've made but what you've done to the eyes is a big improvement. Beautifully done.
John Johnston on 11/10/2023 19:37:08
Did I mention that I'm having bad habit of leaving the eyes to do the last?! Usually they're just blank empty holes for long time (😅)... This time I tried to not being cruel to my mum, so I've marked them and shaped a bit - then left them to do last 😅. To be honest John, I wanted to leave some highlights to it, but I've regret it eventually... There's no much of highlights when looking at the reference photo, they remain in shadow - and I was appreciate this look, as to me that is making a warmer look... If they were too bright - showing more reflection - the look would be a bit chilled in comparison... I don't know - I just prefer them darker with less reflection... As I've mention at last update - before me is just final touches... So I did improve shading a bit (all around), the eyes, the ear improvement (a tinny bits)... So I think I don't want to get any deeper into details. Thank you for keen comment John.
Wow, love it! The contrast between foreground/background and your mum’s face is perfect, and the depth of detail on Mum is beautiful.
Wow, love it! The contrast between foreground/background and your mum’s face is perfect, and the depth of detail on Mum is beautiful.
Anthony Knight on 12/10/2023 05:30:07
Thanks a lot Anthony, I'm appreciate you like this drawing 😉 I'm not too good regarding out of mind drawing, it's out of my comfort zone you see... In this case it is the foliage, that I was making up as I go... So it was really hit or miss, hopefully it came out not too bad. Thank you 😉
Well done - if it's any consolation to you, I normally leave the eyes until last, if we're talking about detail: it is important to get the basic shape in early on, though.
Well done - if it's any consolation to you, I normally leave the eyes until last, if we're talking about detail: it is important to get the basic shape in early on, though.
Robert Jones, NAPA on 21/10/2023 14:06:28
Thank you Robert 😉 I think I'm liking to start making eyes at the beginning now more than before, and just improving them as I go...
Showing page 4 of 4