Micro landscapes ?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I have called this thread Micro  landscape simply because I do r know what else to call it . Several years ago I wax asked to do a series of small close up paintings which was referred to as micro landscapes, if there is a specific genera name for these painting please let me know.  I was recently contacted by a couple of local charities and asked to look at the possibilities of putting on some workshops in the coming year . One I will be doing with their volunteers and have a great venue , a lake woodlands and rusting farm machinery. The other will more of a sketching walk , short walk with time to sketch and if time add a bit of colour.  As the walks will be time limited I need to start looking at small part of the landscape that can be sketched very quickly. I have passion for trees and particularly old tree in the landscape . I also like parts of tree broken branches, rotten stems, leaves and peeling bark etc.  I’m currently working on a painting of a silver birch branch shedding bark , and though I would share the various stages as a WIP.  Please feel free to ask questions and even make suggestions, polite ones please. Like all paintings I start off with a very basic sketch, using a HB pencils and putty rubber to lighten it .  Then add a little colour to simply get the feel of what I’m doing and feel that I have made a start. 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

What a great idea. What's the charity?
Added more colours and a bit more detail , I like doing these paintings in small areas but dotted about . Working this way give the areas a chance to dry something that is especially needed with watercolours unless I want the colours to blend . Two different views so  the scale and how it looks from further away can be seen. I alway photo my work as I progress and look at it away from the easel while have a cuppa , I find it helps me to pick up, on areas or see mistakes . 
Colin I work with the National Trust based at Hughenden Manor and have done for the past ten years or do. This year I’m work with two new charities, The Chiltern Conservation Board and Berkshire Buckinghamshire Oxfam Wildlife Trust .  The CCB is the one that will, involve the walks and sketching, they have a annual walking festival in the summer month , promoting the Chiltern AOB. BBOWT had several reserves around the three countries, I will be doing a workshop the volunteers at College Lake in the summer . It’s a great way to get out and meet people whilst enjoying and promoting art . As I don’t charge for my time it enables the organisations to get some funds, well more then I could give as a donation. We have on average at workshops made about £ 300 - 400 pounds a day just before Covid restrictions I did four workshops over the year at Hughenden .
Have not had the opportunity to do much more today , life gets in the way of painting most days.  I have done a bit more detailed work and add a bit of green where mould and lichen were starting to build up on the old  bark.  The tatty looking what should be white square is a pillow case folded into a cushion and stitch around the edges, without this I would not  to keep steady enough to paint , this and pressure gloves mean that I can continue with my passion for painting and sketching. It did take a little while to get used to using it bit it works for me , occasionally it gets a wash . 
What a great way of “giving” , your time is priceless .   Have just realised where you are going with these paintings they are going to be rather beautiful.
Thank you Sylvia , I hope it looks good when it’s finished. There are so many charities wanting financial support and it’s impossible to support them all, I found support the RAF Benevolent Fund as much as I can . The ZNT and the two mentioned are the ones I support by offering time as it makes them more money than I could give. 
Quite a bit more done , I like doing WIP as it does make me look at what and why I do things, I suddenly noticed tat I use the side of the brush as much if not more when shading areas . Unfortunately food shopping is calling , hope to do more later . 
Getting there.   You are almost persuading me to go and get a piece from the garden to have a go. 
This is looking really good Dixie and well done for your charity work. I also think your pillowcase support is an excellent idea, maybe you should market it! I find I don’t have a completely steady hand these days but manage to rest the painting hand on the other usually. Old age doesn’t come alone as they say!
Thank you Sylvia , you should get a lump  of wood and go for it , unfortunately this was attached to a twenty foot tree so I had to make do with photos take a last year.  Thank you Tessa for you kind remarks, I get a buzz out of supporting the charity’s so it a win win as they say . I’m sure other people already use a similar think to the cushion , anyway who want to make on other peoples ailments I certainly don’t.  I’m stopping this painting now as I could be on of those that I spend hour fiddling with and end up, overworking it . I will let it dry and put it on the  gallery later.