Madame Récamier

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Oh yes we can get lost in chatter, although i am guilty of a stage whisper when it goes does quiet, "It's gone quiet, I can hear everyone's brain working overtime!". Which usually gets us all laughing and chatting again. Wow Frank i really admire how your painting came out, it's really great. Well done you!
I confess to finding all pastels very difficult - but oil pastels especially: perhaps it would help if I bought a new set, rather than the ancient Sakura and Caran d'Ache pastels which belonged to an art student who gave them to me years (and years) ago.  I have to scrape the bloom off them before I can tell what colour they are.   But maybe the cobbler should stick to his last ..... don't know. I think you've done a grand job with the flesh tones, and I like the incidental details on the chair, or maybe chaise-longue, and the gold-coloured robe, drape or whatever - I'm not entirely familiar with 18th century ladies' garments.  You sometimes see pictures "after" a particular artist, and think "... and a long way after, too..", but you've got a rather charming impression of this classic portrait.  Well done, that man!
I think you have made a really good job with the oil pastels, not the easiest of mediums to use, well done and a good likeness to the original 👍😀
“It’s gone quiet” - the exact thing happens at our group too Nerys, so funny and oh how I am missing those painting days right now. 🙁 Thank you for your kind comments. Those Caran D’Ache oil pastels are gorgeous Robert, stick with them. Thank you for your kind comments. Thanks Linda, the first time I tried oil pastels I hated them and put them away in a draw where they stood for quite a few years! But I am not one to give up on things easily, so gave them another go recently and started to understand them a lot more.
Yes, our art group still hasn't been able to meet.  The hall we use is owned by the council, a while back they were talking about allowing its use...but that's all gone by the board now.  We stay in contact by email, but it's not the same. When I left work many moons ago, my work friends gave me a big box of art goodies.  It included some pastels AND some oil pastels.  I couldn't get on with either.  I gave the ordinary pastels away, and eventually dumped the oil pastels. There are so many wonderful art materials around these days...you can't use them all. So I'm impressed by your Recamier, Frank.
I don’t know why I called you Robert Lewis, can’t even blame predictive text! Really loosing it now 😀. I belong to two painting groups and one club and none of them are functioning again for various reasons. Sometimes I think that art is the secondary reason for being there for some, but doing something that you really like doing and enjoying the friendship of others at the same time is a great way to spend your retirement years.
Showing page 3 of 3