Help with figure, please...

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Thanks, Alan, I'm not going for 100% photo realism, more to get a feel of the place, thus the tractor being off slightly... So you think it's the upper body and not the head? Would that still then work in comparison to the tractor? Thanks, Paul, me neither, I rarely include figures but thought I'd have a go for my mate... Now it's turning into a headache...  Thanks for both your comments, so far... 
Jonathan Wheatley on 09/12/2021 11:27:16
If you found something strange, you need to check & measure. And even you have a very good draft, measured carefully, you still need to measure again and again when you paint. I have a friend in Hong Kong. He always measure too, but the figures on his paintings are always deformed. It is interesting and it becomes his style, I believe. Anyway, Let’s see how Spanish master Antonio Lopez measure when doing pleinair. I think he is now ninety something and have many many years of experience.  Antonio Lopez doing pleinair

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Reported!

This post has been removed as it violates our forum rules and guidelines.

Reported!
Hi Alan, what were the above reported for? It wasn't anything I did was it? Sorry, if so... 
Hi Jonathan i am quite sure you have done nothing wrong.  We get daffy posters who are trolling the site.  Robert and Alan  get shot of them.  Your Traccy pic is looking good.
No of course not Jon… just multiple scam postings of total irrelevance which happens occasionally.
It's lens distortion. The photograph was taken with a wide angle lens—a 'phone-camera most likely. Wide angle lenses make near things look bigger—out of proportion—and distant things look smaller. So the nearest wheel looks disproportionately larger then the other front wheel. This could also be why you are having difficulty with the proprtions of other elements.
Best of luck with this one. I would not like to be in your shoes.  You know the saying about not having two masters, but you have 3 or 4 in this one: How to do justice to the landscape, tractor and two portraits. If it were me I would crop it to focus on the 2 portraits and not worry about that front wheel, which looks wrong in the photo too.  But it is all a bit late for that.  Do let us know how you get on.
Showing page 2 of 2