Floral Still Life Colour Study?

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
So this was meant to be a quick 2 hour colour study (30x25cm) for a larger painting but it turned into an impressionistic, loose painting that I think I rather like. I now can't decide if I should spend another day working on it (refining its a bit - but not too much. I will force myself not to get carried away!!) or leave it as it is? 
I’d say leave it….force yourself to let go and see what happens. I wish I could….
That is rather beautiful Gary...leave it now.
Thank you both for your wise words...and I know I should leave it....but...I have a horrible feeling I'll be tinkering with it tomorrow!
So- Gary, I didn’t spot this yesterday, and am wondering whatever you decided to leave or carry on! I really like it as it is….
I should have listened to you all. I tried to do an hour on it this afternoon in a rush and not focussed. It didn't go well...that's all I'm saying. Going to let it dry and maybe try to fix it. Sorry, no picture, I'm currently annoyed at myself!
Rush - repent! Only rush at something if you know exactly what you need to do, and it isn't a major effort to do it.  Whether this is oil or acrylic, though - I'm assuming it's oil - you CAN fix it.  Clear the decks - take a new palette of paint to it, with clean brushes, fresh paint, and at least half a day free if possible, breathe deeply, think: crack on.  I sometimes manage to convince myself that a painting is someone else's, and I'm fixing it for them; it's surprising how often that seems to work, even tut-tutting at the imaginary painter's foolishness .... (perhaps being a little doolally helps). If you should fail (and you won't) stamp on the thing, put it through a wood-shredder, and start with a new board.  
A good idea to pretend it’s someone else’s… if you can. The problem with it being yours is that you often don’t know where you’re going until you realise you shouldn’t have gone there! If you’ve never done that, well you’re just too perfect!
Be easy on yourself Gary. It was only a study, they're there to be experimented on. You did right to push it. Take your lessons and apply them to the larger painting. 
Thank you all for the advice. I'm much calmer about it now...and thank you Robert for the suggestion of pretending to have to fix someone else's art - I think that's a great idea and I'm definitely going to try that in the future!