Experimenting, testing out , messing about .

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Started to draw and paint another tree using the canvas again I want to develop this one more. Sketch and base colours on the tree and sky, I will need to work on the areas where the branches have broken off. 
The finished painting along with the original one .
Both are great Paul!  When I first started painting in Spain there were very few local art shops ( usually found in the local paint and decorators shops! Only in Span 🤣)  anyway I bought a few pads of very similar sheets in Lidl ( sorry about the swear word!) . They were actually quite nice to use dare I say!
You've kept the good things about the first painting in the second one: and this surface does seem to be just right for your approach - this is a bit of an annoyance for me at the moment - surfaces, that is.  I haven't actually painted in watercolour for some weeks, and I've been using quite expensive Arches paper, to which I don't seem to be doing much by way of justice!  If you know what I mean, I can't seem to get the paper wet enough - it works better as a surface for acrylic so far as I'm concerned, but that's not what I bought it for; I begin to wonder why I abandoned Bockingford and The Langton; and why, of all the expensive papers I could have chosen, I went for Arches instead of Saunders ..... still, I shall persist  - when I take a break from oil and acrylic.   I think your use of this canvas for watercolour seems to have liberated your drawing arm - your lines and sweeps with brush or pencil seem more free and fluid, and I've also got the impression that you've hit on just the right colour mixes for the surface you've chosen: keep on with it, I say!  I believe you've turned a corner in your painting with these - as we know, painting is a process of reaching one stage, and climbing on to another in time, like a series of plateaux reached by a wobbly and hazardous ladder (from which we occasionally slip and fall right back down again - though once progress has been made, it does tend to be incremental).  
Thank you Gillian and Robert for you kind comments . I’m definitely a covert to canvas as a medium but will continue with a good paper as well,  both offer slightly different benefits. I have used Archers myself when some kind some bought me some in return for a painting I did for them it was lovely paper and I think at the time I liked it but definitely prefer Bockingford it just does what I want from it. It is good to have a few different papers as you know for different types of scene etc. Al the branches small trees etc on the second painting were done with a fine rigger really letting the brush do the work . I was having a bad hand day and could only just hold the brush by the tips of my fingers and the tip of the brush , will do this again as it seems to work well. 
Thought I would bore you some more I decided to have a my three , used a summer photo and changed it to winter . I used Alizarin Crimson, Indigon, Raw Siena , Sap Green and Payne’s grey. A crimson, raw Siena candy P grey used to paint the tree as I wanted a very cold look on the trunk and branches . Still a bit to do to complete it. 

Edited
by Paul (Dixie) Dean

A good, big, solid tree - oak, if I'm not mistaken, though could be beech: reaching out in imploring branches; I like those directional brush-strokes in the centre bough.  
Thank you Robert , it certainly is a big old oak . I feel a bit of a fraud as it feels like the brush and paint are doing work it’s  so relaxing, the canvas is I think the nicest surface I have painted on . Over the past few months I have spent hours looking at paintings for the Inspiration from artist thread and I have noticed that it is having a effect on how I paint, I’m sure these things work subliminally. I haven studied anyones particular methods but something is rubbing off for sure, as a result of the research. I have looked at mores watercolorist than I ever did before and like Jenny said in the thread it’s really rewarding and interesting. 
Showing page 2 of 2