Drawing elephants

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 3 of 3
Hi David. You've got a great, patient approach. I noticed that you paint each section of skin to completion without touching the rest of the 'figure'.  May I ask how you are controlling the values so accurately over such a large painting over such a long time? Cheers, Owen.
the truth is once upon a time That I was still small and young and without too much patience. There was no patience to work only on a certain section, but in time I got used to it, because I realized that it is better to work on a certain section and thus absorb it the best, and not get confused about the whole painting,

Edited
by David Lustig

It’s always better to work on the whole painting, rather than isolated areas. There are many advantages to working this way, but I won’t go into detail at this point in time! We often see this with newcomers (and more experienced) to portrait painting, for instance, starting with an eye and completing it in isolation… definitely not the best approach… generally speaking! I know that there are no ‘right or wrong’ ways when it comes to painting, but there are tried and tested methods that have proven successful, but each to their own.  David’s elephant is unbelievably realistic and the skill, and patience, are commendable. So, this method of working on isolated areas certainly suits his style!

Edited
by Alan Bickley

I don't just do a segment without any preparation whatsoever, but first I make a serious video, and measurements and more. And so after I have a structured and organized video. with exact locations. I can start working piece by piece. Without all kinds of problems being discovered during the painting,
Thanks David that's really interesting. I can understand how important the quality source and accurate main sketch is to how you work. It must give you confidence when you are shading.  Do you use a grey scale to judge darkness values? Or are you beyond that?
No, I don't see it as necessary, and you also learn the nuances over time, and regarding Alan's comment. So in long paintings that take months then I have a problem with working in order. Because you see differences in levels between the beginning of the painting and the end of the painting, but here I arranged the easier things. which is the little elephant so I did at first. And the big elephant which is the more difficult and complex sections. I left the drawing for the end, so my drawing level is better
Thank you David. You are a confident artist and I enjoyed your explanation of doing the easiest sections first.
I made further progress with the entire eye area. I haven't finished the eye yet. And the eyelashes of the eye should be added there,
Genius was described as "an infinite capacity for taking pains" - but of course, it's far more than that: you do take pains, but you also have a superb eye for texture and proportions; I very much hope you continue to stay safe.
Showing page 3 of 3