Difficulty drawing black dogs

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
You've done a pretty fantastic job so far as I can see - dogs move, stretch, hunch .... you don't need to reproduce a photograph exactly; a few moments later and this one could have achieved a quite different position.  Don't worry your picture to death, whatever else you decide to do.  I've drawn a black dog (mostly black) and painted a black cat - as has been said, there are often other colours in the depths and sheen of the hair, browns, deep blues, purples.  If I were going to do any more work on this one though, I wouldn't worry about the colour, and probably wouldn't do anything, but I think the neck length to which Marjorie referred could be corrected by a SLIGHT adjustment to the dog's right shoulder, ie on our left; just a touch, no more. Commissions - I don't much care for them; my dog drawing was a commission, from photographs - absolutely hellishly difficult, but thank God for Mars Lumograph pencils.  I will do them, for lovely money, but it always amazes me how people want a really difficult subject - never something nice and simple...
Thank you Robert and everyone that shared advice, suggestions etc - it really helped. I bought a nice cool green pastel and by using this, along with indigo and other Blues, lilacs and black in various combinations- I think it has improved it -
That’s looking great now Rachel, a really good representation!
Thank you Alan 🥂
Showing page 2 of 2