Commissions and their problems.

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
I find commissions difficult because the subject is not one I have personally chosen. Although the person commissioning the work likes your style of painting, there are still problems to overcome - especially if they have given you free rein. This painting which I have just finished posed a few problems, one being the size and proportion required ( 120cmx60 cm. - I like a square format ). You can see below how I changed the palette and the size of the figures until I finally settled on a cool evening scene at Crosby Beach, with Gormley's Iron Men.
I go to this place quite often and you have got this painting spot on. It is such a beautiful painting of an amazing place.Sometimes you find football scarves from all over the country wrapped around them. Even from Germany and Sweden all over. The odd football hat also. The sculptures themselves are amazing. You have done an exceptional job. They will be more than pleased.
I often paint on a square format, but I also enjoy elongated boards, generally 1:2.5 . I approach commissions in exactly the same way as I normally paint for myself, it’s the only way I know, although I do tend to overprice them these days as a deterrent! This is an excellent painting, top quality work which will, I’m certain, be warmly received.
Fascinating to see the process and changes in palette Marjorie, and a very striking result. As Denise says I’m sure they will be delighted with it.
Thanks for all the kind words. I do hope they like it " in the flesh". Alan, where do you get the canvas, ratio 1:2.5? If I'd paid a lot more, I suppose I could have secured one. As it was, I settled for a ready made one from GreatArt at £53. I wasn't confident enough to spend more. I did see some with a better ratio but they were £200+
That’s an easy one Marjorie, I simply cut down larger ones! But of course I’m talking canvas boards, not stretched canvases.  But, I could buy the stretcher bars separately to my specific sizes, and I have canvas here ready, so I would make my own if necessary. So, with the boards, I have say a 50x60cm board, which I could cut that lengthways to make 2 x 25x60cm, or whatever you need.

Edited
by Alan Bickley

This one is on a deep canvas so they don't need to frame it if they decide not to. With the present situation I didn't fancy using the framer - well, I couldn't at the moment, anyway.
I’ve just spotted the size, I must have missed it before - that’s an impressive size and great to work on. It must look stunning! I’ve got a couple of 1000 x 1200cm canvases hanging on my walls, they were from Jackson’s and around £60 each as I recall.  I prefer something smaller these days, 40 x 50 cm or 50 x 60cm - I’ve been using the Jackson’s canvas boards which are glued to MDF, they’re excellent and I can highly recommend them.
Stunning painting, Marjorie, absolutely stunning. I would have thought this was right up your street, given your penchant for seascapes. I have two commissions to start and fortunately the subjects are great. I've actually painted them before. Funny thing is, I've got a finished one in my bedroom, one I painted earlier this year. Guilt prevents me from selling it. LOL Bri
Brian, that last sentence...guilt. l smiled at that, the thought that it was in some way " second hand". But I know what you mean and it's the kind of thought I would have😊 . But if you get into difficulties, it' s there, " under your belt".