Claire

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Showing page 2 of 2
Yes - the minute you do that, you've got gouache: a good medium for portraiture, of course, but - not most people's definition of watercolour: this ties is rather neatly with a question asked by Sarah Kennedy on Paul's weekend bonus picture, i.e. what's the difference between watercolour and "pure" watercolour.
Okay Marjorie. I know a bit about opaque Vs transparent but I've not internalised it for my current small palette. You've set me a project to investigate. Fortunately the darks leapt off the paper YAY! I Then tried removing the 2B pencil lines with a putty rubber - no luck. Any advice much appreciated 😉
Here's Saturday's endpoint. I will have a look tomorrow if anything jumps out.
Over the decades I have used water colour, I have found, any pencil work captured by yellow, and yellow additions, will not be removed, and only by spoiling the art work. On times it's nice to see the process of pencil work beneath the paint.

Edited
by Carol Jones

Pencil lines (in particular construction lines), should be left in situ…not erased, they’re all part of the painting process. Again, I refer to Turner here as one example, the brilliant watercolour artist Rowland Hilder is another, but there are many others, and is a widely accepted principle…  I’m not referring to heavily shaded areas which have been drawn in during the initial stages. I’ve never adopted that method of working and they will indeed be difficult to remove once a wash has been applied over them.
Thanks for your help Carol and Alan. I need to work on my pencil weight and line placing then, to support the painting rather than from the sketch.
Showing page 2 of 2