Alf's portrait

Welcome to the forum.

Here you can discuss all things art with like-minded artists, join regular painting challenges, ask questions, buy and sell art materials and much more.

Make sure you sign in or register to join the discussions.

Hang on Studio Wall
Any advice about how I can achieve the corrected version without destroying the painting?

Edited
by Pat Harris

Acrylic or watercolour?  It's fairly easy to over-paint in acrylic, and adjust the features.  Watercolour is trickier - but not impossible.  If it's a choice between correcting/adjusting and destroying the painting, and you aren't confident that you  CAN correct or adjust, I'd leave it as it is - certainly not destroy it.  You can always do it all over again if you're not happy with this one - if you have the energy and commitment: you might want to take a  brief rest from it though, if you decide to start again. Edit: PS - it's quirky, and I like it!

Edited
by Robert Jones, NAPA

Yes I like it as well,  so like my Squeak dog JR .  It’s certainly in your face but it’s full of character. As Robert says you could do another one, if you do, use some marks to suggest fur and softness. 
Acrylic or watercolour?  It's fairly easy to over-paint in acrylic, and adjust the features.  Watercolour is trickier - but not impossible.  If it's a choice between correcting/adjusting and destroying the painting, and you aren't confident that you  CAN correct or adjust, I'd leave it as it is - certainly not destroy it.  You can always do it all over again if you're not happy with this one - if you have the energy and commitment: you might want to take a  brief rest from it though, if you decide to start again. Edit: PS - it's quirky, and I like it!
Robert Jones, NAPA on 20/12/2021 17:57:21
Thank you for the advice and kind words.  It's acrylic. I think it's the perfectionist in me that wants to get the face shape right. I've been taking photographs for almost 50 years, and digitally  manipulating them for as long as there have been free apps. I started painting after my husband died in December 2019, and really started to take it seriously during lockdown. It's the first thing that I have done that is solely me. 
Yes I like it as well,  so like my Squeak dog JR .  It’s certainly in your face but it’s full of character. As Robert says you could do another one, if you do, use some marks to suggest fur and softness. 
Sylvia Evans on 20/12/2021 19:08:23
Thank you. I'm experimenting with using colour to denote character and likeness. I'm not trying for realism. I don't think I'm ready for that. My watercolours are different and more realistic, mainly seascapes so far.
Go for it
You don’t necessarily need to be ready for realism, in fact I’m never looking to achieve realism.  It’s more about capturing the ambiance of a scene or perhaps the character of an animal … you’re doing fine Pat.